Monday, May 13, 2013

What is beauty? Can we know?

"Some things will never change.  Some things will always be the same.  Lean down your ear upon the earth, and listen. 
The voice of forest water in the night, a woman's laughter in the dark,

the clean, hard rattle of raked gravel, the cricketing stitch of midday in hot meadows, the delicate web of children's voices in bright air---
these things
will
never change.
 
The glitter of sunlight on roughened water, the glory of the stars, the innocence of morning, the smell of the sea in harbors, the feathery blur  and smoky buddings of young boughs, and something there that comes and goes and never can be captured,
the thorn of spring,
 
the sharp and tongueless cry---
these
will always
be
the same.
All things belonging to the earth will never change--- the leaf, the blade, the flower, the wind that cries
and
sleeps
and
wakes
again,
 
the trees whose stiff arms clash and tremble in the dark, and the dust of lovers long since buried in the earth---

all things proceeding from the earth to seasons, all things that lapse and change and come again upon the earth--- these things will always be the same, for they come up from the earth that lasts forever.
                                                                                   Only the earth endures, but it endures
forever."
~Thomas Wolfe
Above I ask, "What is beauty?"
Some would say some of my photography is eerie, some might ask, "Why dying flowers?" or say, "What a scary cat!!!!"  Did you know she was just taking a luxurious yawn?  If you had seen her before and after you would have seen serenity?  What some see as daunting, scary, others can see the sublime.  I want the velvet dark to enfold me at times and I want the white of a lit room and a gasping tulip, to inspire me.  Both have beauty to me.


I turn into the night”

by Amy Sperry Faldet
 
 
I turn into the night like a velvet cloak/ behind a moonbeam that is the curtain of my reprieve./ I must disappear some for the day's senses are so crisp and clear and I need/ the embrace of solitude's solace./ There a lullaby's kiss is waiting.
Where others see the ruin of a thing, its deficiencies, I see its story, its value, even, its potential
without that being requisite.
The glitter of sunlight, diamonds on the water, will not show unless there is turbulence, a roughness that leaps above the norm.  To me that is art.
To me that is beauty.
These things I look for and find.

Embrace the light and dark
of
all.
Photos and drawings by Amy Sperry Faldet
 
 

3 comments:

Silke said...

Dear Amy,

So perfect for me to read today! And I love your photos - especially the one of the yawning cat!

I hope you are doing well, dear friend!!

Love, Silke

Palomasea said...

Your work often brings me to tears, and always touches my soul...
Beautiful, beautiful.
Thank you for your gifts and for YOU, dear and lovely Amy... :)
Love and blessings,
- Irina

Georgianna said...

Dear Amy, Thank you for the truth and beauty that enriches this sublime post, and for being who you are. Solitude's solace – I know so well and so perfectly described.

Wishing you a joyful day, dear friend!

xo