Friday, January 20, 2012

Stay calm and love a nerd...

I have vast knowledge of my nerdiness. I am o.k. with it. Most heroines are not "normal" and most heros are not either. They are enthusiastic, break-the-mold, plunge-right-in, nerds. I love faerytales! They are rarely understood. They try a bit to help others understand them, but, in the end it is a love me or leave me mentality, I guess.

I relate to Stargirl, I admire Ginny, though I have been likened to Luna Lovegood so often, I should get royalties, hee hee. I would never sit around bemoaning unrequited love. There's too much love out there swirling around. Truly. I know I am not typical. I am a nerd. But, when you see others with stories like mine, characters who are a bit flaky, but, highly intelligent about human nature and who have an enthusiastic love of each day, it makes me realize that there are PLU's around (People Like Us). I like that thought.


I was told, awhile back, that I MUST read Stargirl by Jerry Spinelli! I was told that besides the fact that I don't own a eukele and some other little quirks, I WAS Stargirl. What happened when I read the book and its sequel freaked me out a bit... I eat lemons straight on like a character in the second book, I do seem to think like Stargirl on so many things, etc. etc. etc. Lots of similarities, I am telling you. I wonder, sometimes, what happens. You know why are we the way we are. I just finished reading a long book, pictures galore, btw, yum, on William Morris! Who does this? I do, I guess, and I love it. I read Harold Bloom for fun and think he is so brilliant, terribly cocky, but probably the funniest guy who loves Shakespeare, like I do. I love the idea of colorful painted houses in the snow in Norway or pretending the homes in Amsterdam, above, that one might be mine. I know they are not these colors, but, when I see photographs of these in front of the canal, they take on these joy-filled colors, in my heart. I don't drink, it puts me to sleep, but, my cousin, who must know how much I love all things Dutch, or maybe it was an accident, gave me Chocovine, which is a desert wine from Holland. It has a windmill and tulips on the bottle, sigh. I am a nerd for loving just looking at it. Not sure how to explain. I have tomes of useless knowledge in my brain, and I love it! I guess, as a friend said, we all do. It is what makes us interesting and writes our stories. I am accepting of my quirkiness and my Stargirl-ness.
I hope you go read a fairytale, The Girl with No Hands, is a great one, with a rock-star heroine, and go out and love something with gusto, no holds barred, enjoy this day! That is where I am headed. See you there! Blessings, Amy

9 comments:

Denise said...

Love this post!I have to read Star Girl.Seems familiar?Was it also a SiFi movie?

Rena said...

if being a "nerd" also means being the most amazing and beautiful true blue friend, with the kindest heart ever, such an accepting heart of all things, the face of an angel, then yea, I guess YOU are a big giant nerd......I love my nerdie Amy girl..... I haven't read stargirl, but maybe I need to!!

Zuzu said...

PLU kinda girl here. And so very, very, VERY lucky to have found you, Amy. You always brighten my day.
:)
Hugs & happiness,
Zuzu

Such a Wondrous Place this Faery Space said...

Love you guys!!!!

Georgianna said...

Dearest Amy, I love, love this post – nerd, Star Girl, whatever name – you are a magical spirit who brightens the world of those who know you. I love my little chickadee so much.

A long book about William Morris? Sounds wonderful!! Which one? Have you read The Gardens of William Morris? I loved it. BTW, Burne Jones is my favorite painter.

Sending big hugs and wishes for a happy weekend. xo – g

Castles Crowns and Cottages said...

I AGREE! I am a nerd too. I never had a boyfriend all through high school, didn't drink or smoke and to this day, I literally DANCE to the beat of a different drummer. I would not have it any other way........

Castles Crowns and Cottages said...

Your words are encouraging to me sweet angel!!!!!!!!! Anita

A Magical Whimsy said...

Hello! Stargirl!
Now I am going to have to read that book! I am reading 'The Once and Future King' by T.H. White. Duh? It has been sitting on my book shelf, and I expected it to be like boring King Arthur stuff...and it is turning into what Disney made the story line for 'The Sword in the Stone' from. It is brilliant! And nerdy too. Total fantasy, nerdy Merlyn and Wart. The magic and fantasy starts happening about the second chapter. I love it!
I love your blog!
I have read 'The Hunger Games' BEFORE they even thought of making a movie out of it. Talk about poor nerdy kids in the midst of a political rebellion! Whoa! It was heavy stuff!
Cheers!
Teresa in California
I love the arts and writing...
Check out my blog and the older posting for my brother Troy Howell's book 'The Dragon of Cripple Creek' set in modern day Cripple Creek Colorado. More nerdy kids...

april said...

Oh my goodness - I have to look up all these things you are talking about to read! And oh, how I love the houses of Amsterdam and Copenhagen.