Saturday, October 29, 2011

Each day is so new when surrounded by the likes of you...



My dear friend, Rena, sent me a message in a bottle. Yes, a message in the post and I received today the whole sweet thing, a message in a bottle. I am reminded of a quote by C.S. Lewis, "Friendship is unnecessary, like philosophy, like art... it has no survival value; rather it is one of those things that gives value to survival." Everyday, I am surprised by the opportunities to live anew. I am surprised how many things make life more than just survival. I am a firm believer in the senses and the way they deepen and enrich daily life. Every moment is so vibrant. Every cloudy, misty, day is so rich in feeling if you see it that way with a warm tea in hand. Every blue sky and yellow flower is a rich awakening.
I have a few friends that make days surprising, joyous, new. It is not that we are always seeking to outdo that last bit of joy or surprise, believe me, that reeks of falseness and dampens all. No, it is that genuine thought, that caring, that moment of gifting and the revelry of the senses that is what I find with some of the beings I am surrounded by. I spent the week substituting and spending time with those I don't see often and talking on the phone with friends who live far away, and it always remarkable how glorious that is. I think the simple conversations are my favorite. Discussing simple recipes that sound delightful, discussing freshening up the house with paint and wood stain, smells and tastes from trips, losing friends and relatives to cancer all in a week. These things are not what one would normally see as a deepening of the senses. They are the things of life, normal, satisfying, and some tragic, yet, they are just what happens in a week. Making soup, rolling and cutting chard, making smiles, making things new, making plans, it is magic. I find it all so sublime. A Sublime moment is a complete moment. It makes sense. It is sensual. You feel something. You feel something new. It doesn't need to be a life of new, new, new, not that, (take it from the girl who is reading Bramn Stoker's Dracula again for Halloween for the umpteenth time in my life.) It is just that my day, because it is my faerytale, is my day. I will see it as complete, even the hard things; It is sublime. Send a message in a bottle, to yourself, to someone who makes you smile or tells you something useful. It is a gift.
Write it out, see it as a rescue, if you must, see it as whimsy, if you like, just know how precious your thoughts can be.

3 comments:

stregata said...

Friendship - such a precious thing. I think it is necessary for survival - life without friendship, or art, is just existance...
Wishing you a beautiful day.

Castles Crowns and Cottages said...

There is nothing like friendship, and this kind, where there is an EFFORT to reach beyond the miles is so special. BISOUS MON AMIE, Anita

Rena said...

Your words are always like magic to me....admiring every word....I saw the lovely photo of the boy with eyes of mystery and magic...seeing us as "crazy women"...ahhhhh, how I love that boy...and you the creator of such greatness. You are such a dear and precious friend. I hope the message brought a smile to your beautiful face. See you soon, can't wait..... many x's and o's...rena