Wednesday, June 15, 2011

"And if tonight my soul may find her peace in sleep and sink in good oblivion...

and in the morning wake like a new-opened flower..." ~D.H. Lawrence


In the summer I sleep out on our porch... I dream of it all painted fresh and white flowers and gauzy-curtained...


Dreams come true in time...


For now... I see the miracle of being able to sleep with dew landing in my hair and making it wave so silly and curly, so tausled, when I wake... looking over and seeing my darling daughter's little toes peeking from her blanket across from me... just like I did when my Mom and I slept outside each night we could on our patio... We would set the alarm for school and work so we didn't sleep the morning away dreaming of the stars in our eyes and listening to the birds wake, this was our only hint at normalcy on those days we fell asleep and woke to Nature. I would sleep outside each night I could so that I woke with this freshness that is impossible to describe to any who haven't.


There are days, (I try to make it each day,) when I wake and see the radiant life waiting for me, it is not always easy... never picked-up house, lots of things needing time from me, negative people, contribute to the trials of the spirit, but, just waking to this life can be such a dream come true. I will always try to see it this way. I love to sleep and restore all the priorities. Like the quote from Shakespeare's Macbeth, I see what a gift it is to fall asleep, blinking heavy-lidded as the moon watches over me, peeking through my trees.

"Sleep that knits of the ravelled sleeve of care, the death of each day's life, sore labours bath, balm of hurt minds, great Nature's second course, chief nourisher in life's feast."







7 comments:

Jennifer MacNeill-Traylor said...

Oh my! I want that bed!

Silke said...

Wow, I envy you that! I wish we could sleep outside, but alas the humidity and bugs would make it unbearable. Plus, it doesn't really cool down much at night anymore... I did, however, revel in sleeping in our tent in the Smoky Mountains last week - it was heavenly!! Wishing you many more nights like that... Love, Silke

ElmaBree Art's World said...

My two boys are constantly trying to use our small porch for their army base comand center....ahahahha peace is not easy around here...lol

Castles Crowns and Cottages said...

Magnificent words of poetry...I am currently reading Mary Oliver's poems...what heaven! All I need now is to sleep outside and listen to the silence of Nature...Love and blessings, Anita

Incipient Wings said...

what lovely words and beautiful images.

Faerie Moon Creations said...

Such joyful beauty for dreamtime...just gorgeous. This will bring me sweet dreams tonight, I'm sure. :) Thank you!

ElmaBree Art's World said...

Boys are a blessing in nature all are their own LOL....Bless You Too!