Friday, February 25, 2011

"There is peace and rest and comfort in sorrow." ~Kierkegaard


When I think of coffee, I think of my Grandpa, a "grand-sir." I remember him giving me one of my first cups, I think just to see what I would think of the whole thing. It was black, strong, and good. I never forgot the way that made me feel to share a simple thing like that with a quiet, mysterious, Welsh Englishman born in America, but never far from his Celtic roots in his ways and likes. My Grandpa passed today after 90 lived years. His heart was always called to the wilderness looking for morels, berries, providing for his four daughters. I live in the house where he raised his family. I am at a loss at how peaceful it feels to have him at peace. I don't sleep well when those I care about are suffering, empathy distress, I guess. The world was a good place with him in it and he left such a legacy of caring and coping during times of strain. He was a brave one. He would like this quote, I think, for I saw him make many pots of coffee the old-fashioned way during hard times... One could say that "...the basic need of the human heart in nearly every crisis, is a good hot cup of coffee." ~Alexander King

I think I shall go make a nice black cuppa joe now... two funerals in a month for two influential men in my world...

Yes, hugs, remembering moments, and cups of coffee, sound like the ticket.

5 comments:

Denise said...

Beautiful tribute to your Grandpa.It warmed my heart and I'm sure it will help yours.What a long time to live.

Castles Crowns and Cottages said...

Good morning my darling faerie...he must have been so special...he just passed away as you wrote this? YOU are brave and so kind to share your feelings with US...ah, the simple things in life are all we have to allow us to reflect on what matters most..what a blessing you have had to have raised in a family with such influential people. May your day be filled with peace, a smile and fond memories of a man that would shape how you see the world. Big hugs and much admiration, Anita

Carol said...

Perfect tribute post to someone who will always be in your heart.

Terri Kahrs said...

Your darling Grandfather left you a beautiful legacy of love and light, Sweet Amy. I'm so sorry to hear of your loss. Please accept my deepest sympathy and know that you and yours are in my heart and prayers. Love & Blessings, Terri xoxo

Metronyx said...

I'm so sorry for your loss. However, you expressed it in a very beautiful way and I hope you really find comfort in your sorrow.