Wednesday, February 2, 2011

"I am feeling owly..."


Owly is defined two ways... The first definition in The Oxford English Dictionary describes "owly" as a word used for someone who resembles an owl in her ability to sustain unblinking calm and peace.

Second definition: Cranky, irritable, with a moody disposition...


Did you know there are two meanings of this wonderful and descriptive word? The Word Detective, (do you know this fantastic being?) describes the history of "Owly" in such a way, that it makes one picture everyone sitting by the fire, discussing colloquial terms of the mid-nineteenth century. I love it! Now most of you who know me daily, in person, know I am the first definition, usually. Lately, with coming down yesterday with a whopper head cold, I think I have crossed the line to the second definition. Smile. I drew this darling owl queen, because, goodness, what I wouldn't give for a huge vat of tea and a big long sleep today only to wake in the quiet of evening when all are sleeping to hunt for words and swirls and the books that put a sparkle back in my eye! I just finished The Replacement and am now reading, A.S. Byatt's The Children's Book. Next, I am moving on to Clockwork Angel and then, Leviathan. I figure if I feed myself enough pages, eventually, I will be right as rain. Right? Right, as rain, yes, that's it! The snow came in velvet cloaks all last night and there is nothing to do but lay by the fire with the kiddos and get better. So, this owly gal is going to hibernate during the day and read all night and embrace her owly ways.
Drawing by Amy Sperry Faldet

12 comments:

Such a Wondrous Place this Faery Space said...

Thanks Word Detective!

Georgianna said...

So delightful, dear Amy! There is no hunt so thrilling as the hunt for the meaning of wonderful words. And thank you for the introduction to the Word Detective – I shall be exploring there for some time! I hope you have a lovely, snuggly day and feel much better fast. xo – g

Kiki aka Victoria said...

Beautiful and intriguing Amy..delightful magic!

fanciliciousfairylands said...

You are so inspiring! Check out my blog for the furnished fairy house....a perfet place for owls to reside:)

Jessie said...

Such a lovely and intriguing drawing! I'd never heard that expression before, I'll have to try to use it in conversation! xx

Terri Kahrs said...

So sorry that you've caught an awful cold, Sweet Amy! Only YOU could put such a sweet positive turn on feeling so bad. Enjoy your daytime cuddles, but don't stay up too late!!! Hugs & blessings, Terri xoxox

Castles Crowns and Cottages said...

Oh we all need to be OWLY at some point and take that time away....I wish you a speedy recovery my dear faery...even faeries come down with colds!!! And your rendering is absolutely charming.....big hugs my sweet, Anita

Faerie Moon Creations said...

Hope you feel better soon! I am in love with your Owl Queen. How fabulous is that! Stay warm and well! Theresa

Sheila said...

I love the owl queen; she's beautiful! I'm so sorry you haven't been feeling well. I, too, have been a little under the weather AND under lots of snow - 20+ inches!! Sounds like you rec'd some of the white stuff as well. Stay warm and enjoy your reading; sounds wonderful! Goodnight, owly gal :-) Sheila

jade said...

Hope you feel good, my dear friend!!! Love your sweet Owl Queen and i´m glad, to learn about lovely new words!!! Have a wonderful weekend,

Hugs Jade

deb famularo said...

Your owl queen is amazing Amy!

Get your beautiful owly self some rest today and feel better soon! xOxO

Blogger said...

Did you know that you can create short links with Shortest and make cash from every click on your short urls.