Friday, January 21, 2011

Here ye! Here ye! You are called to the newspaper land of The Filigree! Let us get inky and muddled with fun, join me and Besnik Benishi, below...


Take a moment to "Once Upon a Time" with me to the land of the fairy underdog and The Filigree. Close your eyes and rub your hands together for you are going on a magical journey where only an inky boat floating on font can take you. As your eyes and hands open, behold you have the keys to enter the Land of the newspaper, The Filigree by Celena Cavala and Martin Obakke. "What are the keys?" you ask. "Why, all I have after closing my eyes and rubbing my hands together are palms stained with ink and moss." you say. "Perfect!" I say, you have made my day! You are ready, then, to journey to the interview I have for thee, an interview with the creators of The Filigree.

Celena gives us a wink and Martin, a nod, gifts to carry us when we think we are alone, kicking through the fonts and typed letters on pulp paper. They hold out their hands now and as we touch, we are in the world of adventure, serendipity, and love, they have found. Readers, just breathe these words, "We are lucky. We are lucky."Sit down on this "O" or "B" you will find them much more comfortable than the "W" or the "N." Welcome to the newspaper of the fairy kind, The Filigree. Questions are welcome. So, I begin...




As we sit here, within the pages of their very own newspaper, formed by the alchemy of two sweet spirits, I ask my first interview question, (as a little, winged, lower-case "e" gave me its cockeyed grin.) I smile back and ask Celena and Martin, "If you had one idea you try to relay to the world with your writing and art, what is it?"
The response is this..."How is the hero able to accomplish these great things? Where does he go out to eat? Where does he rent a room? If the child saves the world from darkness, it is not on his own, but by the selfless acts of many that helped him get there. We like to tell their stories."
"We like to celebrate the fairytale underdog and the behind the scenes elements of the workings of a great story." Celena relays. I picture her brilliance as one of these mortal beings writing and creating as she spins filaments of beauty, reporter pencil in hand, about the immortals on the pages, hee hee. The couple lived in Denmark, Martin's homeland, for seven years and now they live in Tennessee, where they create magical worlds full of all the whimsy and wonder we forget to notice as we sit at the gray, cold, bus stop of life. When asked, "Where do you find twinkles of inspiration or worlds of wonder?" Celena replies, "We are inspired by the Invisible world and Imagination and the points in between that we refer to as 'the Filigree,' thin, gossamer strands that connect everything. When Celena is not baking troll fingers, she is the most brilliant storyteller and fantastic writer, conceptualist, and editor of The Filigree Newspaper.They met in Italy, where Martin was painting and she was a ballerina... ahh... faerytales do come true... Martin is one with the Muses and gifts us with the Enchantment of the Invisibles... He shows us what we sometimes do not slow down to see. His paintings for The Filigree and art exhibitions, as well as, his sculptures bring to life musings of joy and tenderness. They will be exhibited at the 4 Bridges Art Festival, in Chattanooga, in April.












If you would like to hear their animated stories on radio follow the link to their site and see what fun you can get into there. Visit their website at http://www.thefiligree.com/ A faerytale couple, to be sure, has taken us to their land of whimsy, fantastic writing, and touching and astounding art. Look up from the lower-case "m" you used as your settee and notice the wind that whipped through Celena's hair is now in The Filigree font, so it is time to prepare. Grab a wind filament, hold softly, not tight for the best traveling is with a soft grip, yes, that's right. You, with your inky face, are back in my faerytale space. Place your feet lightly on the Earth as you arrive, back, for once you have acquainted yourself with Celena Cavala and Martin Obakke your spirit can take wing and that is a lovely thing.
Thank-you, friends, for the pictures and the interview and the ink boat that will never leave my palm...

10 comments:

Kara Ward said...

Such a lovely story and a darling couple. I am definately a new fan of their art!

Denise said...

You and your new filigree friends are my kind of people.Yah! for us.

Christel Hutson said...

Hi Amy, hope all is wonderful in your world! Thank you for sharing this story! I have seen the work on ebay many times, and am already a fan, but to read about this wonderful couple is awesome! xoxo Christel

Castles Crowns and Cottages said...

Oh dear, dear friend, first of all, your sweet visit today to just come and enjoy was so special. And now I come to find joy beyond words. This is the kind of world that I enjoy, that I want to create, but work is constant and I wonder if I will ever develop my dreams. I thought this would be my year but all that is happening is that time is passing me by and I am not accomplishing what I desire. But we are only in January, so maybe that is good....this is splendid. This is pure magic and wit and courage to just DO what one envisions. Thank you for featuring this and most of all, your friendship.

BISOUS!!! Anita

Faerie Moon Creations said...

What a fabulous feature!!! Thank you so much - I am going to learn more about The Filigree right now. Have a wonderful weekend! Theresa

Róisín said...

"Let us get inky and muddled with fun.." I just LOVE that line! Excellent, excellent stuff Amy. I too must now go check out these lovely people :)

kat said...

Amy,
Thank you for your sweet spirit and kind hearted words at Secrets. I came by for comfort and found this wonderous post for of magic and meaning and hope.
They are such a faerytale couple. I am awed by their story. I take encouragement from their story that I may find my soulmate and live a creatively fulfilling life.
Love and light
Kathryn xx

Zuzu said...

Fabulous!!! I'm on my way to visit...
Hugs,
Zuzu

jade said...

Oh, what a wonderful post my dear friend - love the story about those great artists!!!! Such a magical world - thank you so much for sharing!!! And thank you for your lovely words for me in your sidebar - you´r so sweet!!!! Have a wonderful new week,

Hugs Jade

*✿*millie meadowsweet*✿* said...

ahhhhh delightful folk, i will travel via cyber-wings to the land of filigree.

hello my lovely

i have a little award for you on my blog, which i think you so much deserve.
don't worry if you don't do the award thing, i'll understand. just wanted to mention how much i love your beautiful blog

warmest hugs xxx

millie