Friday, December 17, 2010

The Gift of Inspiration... life's breath... and what it means to me being published...


I was asked why I don't have pictures of the magazines I have been published in on my sidebar and since I do have a little tidbit about it there, but not every cover, I thought I would write this post, in light of receiving yesterday's mail with an article written about my Fairy Poppy Carriage. I would like you to read below where I explain the transformative power of being in such a magical magazine... here are the covers of the magazines I have been in... see you for a story below...

This is an advance copy of the Somerset Studio that features my fairy carriage in an article about the Aunt I lost and the faerytale art I love. It will come out in January of 2011.


Dear, wonderful Rena Askey, who inspires me everyday was featured in this issue and because we collaborated with my words and her wondrous art I am on page 23 of this Autumn 2010 issue.



I was thrilled to see my Gladee Whirligig get an article all her own in this Sep./Oct. issue on pgs. 22-23.




I am the feature Exemplar artist in this July/August 2009 issue. I know gratitude in this because only six artists are chosen a year for this. I am also in this issue because dear friend, Rena Askey, used my words on page 34 for a collaboration that we did.





I have a triptych in this May/June 2009 issue on pgs. 28-29.






'Tis a gift to receive cards for they are people's hearts...







'Tis a gift to receive presents for they are people's thoughts brought to creation...







'Tis a gift to receive these things, yes, and I am grateful beyond the words in my vocabulary...







Yet, I must never forget...







'Tis a gift to be inspired... for in that, just as the word suggests, is the breath of my life.







When I go to the mailbox each day, what do I wish for? Can I tell you a secret? Do you know what I can't wait for? My Stampington and Co. inspiration. All these astounding artists who shed such light... like breath. It sends my pulse skyrocketing, and that is a hard thing to do, for those who know me, know, I have the lowest bloodpressure ever, hee hee. I love to see what the artists are doing... what light will be shed on a technique I had questions about before. It is soo completely joyous, well, I swoon. It is my secret. Now you know. I swoon upon receiving a Somerset Studio magazine. There it is out. I admit it.







Picture, then, the glee and humbling feelings and honor that floats around my porch as the light hits the mailbox just so and you see these words, "Congratulations you have been published in Somerset Studio..." Well, I can't really explain the feeling as yet... hmmm... thinking... hmmm...







Oh! I know!!!!! I know!!!!! Picture this, if you will...







Once upon a little time when time was little and time was big and you were small, oh so very small, there was a lady of grace and light and she was your Aunt Judi. She was a magical sort who liked to sew princess gowns for her only niece and have her over to her castle and let her stay in bed as long as she liked with sweets and breakfast on the nightstand. She was oh so fair, though fragile, she was also strong and tall and kind. She told me of little fairy carriages in her garden and leaf boats on the river that swept fast down the great great hill from her home. Imagine that you come running up with a fairy drawing in hand and you give it to her and she beams...







Well, I guess that is the pride and giggly wonder I feel when my art is in Somerset Studio, or my words in Somerset Workshop... for I feel like a little girl bringing you something from a sweet imagination, hoping it makes you beam with light, with the love I put into my little creations. It is not much, and it is much, do you know? A magazine like this, the magazines of Stampington, all, well, these treasures don't just come along in every lifetime. They are, as I have said, many times, documents of what is happening in art now... what is in our hearts now... eternal themes expressed by everyday artists that are much much more than everyday beings. So, when I have a little part in giving this gift of inspiration by being published... I am running up the hill or from the dock with sun-browned skin and yellow hair blowing in my eyes, too excited to brush it away for fear of losing momentum with a drawing in my hand to my Aunt, my fairy Aunt that we lost too soon. Being in these publications is like a gift to you from me and I hope they bring you light and breath. Blessings to you all this holiday season I have much love and work before next Tuesday and Saturday celebrations as I know do all of you. See you at Christmas! I wish you safety, warmth and joy.

15 comments:

stregata said...

Congratulations and thank you for sharing the inspiration behind your inspiration. The vision of the little girl flying with a drawing in her hand will accompany me today.

Creative Grammie said...

How wonderful for you to be published so many times! The whole Stampington & Co. magazines are my favorites, so I'm sure I've seen your works of art there among the pages.
Your story is touching and inspiring, TFS.
Merry Christmas!

Jessie said...

Amy that's wonderful news! I don't think we get that magazine over here in the UK? I wish we did, it looks lovely! I wonder if I could order it online...hmmm. xx

Terri Kahrs said...

Such well deserved honors! Congratulations on your success, Sweet Amy! And how blessed you were to have such wonderful encouragement and love from your Dear Aunt Judi. Her influence shines from your beautiful work like a beacon of love. Many Holiday Blessings! Hugs, Terri xoxo

Castles Crowns and Cottages said...

This is such delight and magic dearest one; I just received a sweet box YESTERDAY in the mail, and I will open it on Christmas eve...but the joy I receive from you constantly will last in my heart for the rest of my life....to find magic in this life is to be on the cusp of the eternity that we all were meant to live in.

You are a wonder and I congratulate you....please come by for some of my magic here at Castles....Anita

Rhonda Roo said...

Yes I second everything everyone's said: congratulations...thank you for dreaming, for inspiring and being inspired, for the breath you whisper into your creations, and for being our friend in the bloggyverse.

Happiest of holidays full of joy peace and love to you and yours this season....

Christel Hutson said...

Dear Amy, congratulations on being published so many times..I know this will not be the last, nor even remotely close! Your illustartions are just lovely, and your writing talents touch many, in so many ways. I always enjoy stopping in here at your blog. It is like a lovely spring shower, where all the flowers are in bloom, and when the sun shines on the dewy petals...they glisten..thats how I feel when I am here..all things beautiful, and new. Thank you for creating such a lovely refreshing place to visit. Wishing you a very joyous Holiday Season, Christel

Castles Crowns and Cottages said...

And to you precious heart, I thank for coming to my little play; may we never, ever stop dreaming and creating! BIG HUGE HUGS OF TENDERNESS COMIN' ATCHA!!!! Anita

julie Haymaker thompson said...

OH When I read about your Aunt it brought tears to my eyes. I am an Aunt too. I Wish I was a as good an Aunt as it seems you had. OH and I also think you need to put the images of the mags on the side bar too. It a fun thing to references for us readers.

The Wild Fairy said...

Thank you so much for stopping by and saying hello! It's lovely to make new friends. Hope you enjoy the magical Full Moon Solstice Eclipse tonight - there is much magic about! ~Siobhan xo

deb famularo said...

Amy!
Congratulations on all your publications in that awesome magazine! What an honor that must be! I know your aunt is smiling down on you! Wishing your family a wonderful Christmas season and a Happy New Year! xOxO

Castles Crowns and Cottages said...

PRECIOUS FRIEND, I am having a quiet, beautiful moment all to myself and I decided to open at least the card...and what a precious drawing and painted card....it touches my soul to hold such an organic message of sweetness...hand-painted art, a most darling sketch, and a note of pure delight. MERCI MA BELLE ET CHÈRE AMY!!! Anita

Castles Crowns and Cottages said...

I have just opened sweetness, joy, and a faded beauty that I EMBRACE WITH ALL MY HEART...this is absolutely beautiful, Amy...I am so touched....every thing about it is magic....merci mille, mille fois!

Lovingly, Anita

Denise said...

i LOVE your words.

Dosha said...

My Dear, I am hard pressed to think of someone more deserving of accolade in Somerset Studio than your lovely self. Your words and art have been an inspiration at a time when few things could penetrate the wall standing between myself and my creative work. Thank you for your sweet spirit and youthful nature. It is marvelous to grow wings and fly, is it not?

It is always a delight to have a visit from you.