Friday, December 10, 2010

Curious...


One becomes curious about joy, if it is fleeting... no? You sit with it near you at all times, yet, when sad, you look under the dusty slipcovers you placed over your treasures, in the hauntings of the mind, and you find it nowhere. You forget where joy is. So you nest. You slip into the dark, soft, velvet-lined pocket and let someone else carry you a bit. But, there is a glimmer up above, a teasing sparkle and with a yawn and a stretch, you awaken to go looking. The memories tickle, some leave papercuts. You climb to the top and peek out. Snow smiles at you and you unfurl your wings and thank the soft pocket. Small, tender, determined, it is a mere moment and you recall the palace of joy you resided in once. Where is it? You let the color of the sky, the color of your eyes lead the way. Where was joy again? hmm...

I spent some time this week finding soft places in my heart... one such place is at my art desk with




my bunny, Shadow,



who will always look small and black That is a start to joy! I lay the soft, smooth, tulle, a gift from Shelley, out on my vintage art table and set her in her nest. She hops a bit, sniffing around, then settles in and usually sleeps while I draw. The dog (not her friend, I might add, is sleeping in our bedroom, door closed, where my fourth child naps) I start to dream with Shadow, our black, pigmy, lion-head, and magically we open our eyes to joy. I love dolls, though I don't have even one, not one. Strange. Abi Monroe dolls speak to the light in my heart. Yes, I love ballerina dolls... I love ballet shoes in the snow and quartz like ice. Visions of sugar plums and Swan Lake dance in my head. Chippy, battered, angels that only gain grace as they age in the weather.I love the way buds leave a shadow. It reminds me of catching a glimpse of a faery dancing like my jack-in-the-greenor sprites protecting the trees ahh... sacred trees.











I love old houses with robin's egg blue bells just outside the door

and dusty frogs and secret caches that were once Great-Grandma's. With my little tidbits inside.

I love broken, vintage, rhinestones found in our barn and gifts from kindred friends like my dear Joanna Rowan Mullane, just because.




I love ravens and rabbits in the yard, ravens in the trees, ravens on steeples calling my name, telling stories and laughing...

They tell me of crossroads and

water, dreams and pink flowers in the Sun.

I love my family and friends at home and on the computer screen. Joy is art and creating and youand me...


So, you fly through the skies of blue to you to yourself and you see the Palace of Joy of your own making... You stand in the doorway of your enchanted castle, stamp your boots on the palatial floor to shake-off the snow and shiver and wonder why you ever leave this palace of joy, mirth, and contentment, this place in the mind and heart. I mean you own it, joy, you carry it with you, really, this place. Why would you clap your hands and direct the fairies to leave and cover everything that glitters, everything that is soft, like ghosts? You roll up your sleeves step inside and start uncovering all you said your unconscious goodbyes to and shine. This joy is always waiting, with work and quiet it lets the light back in and you find it is time to sparkle.
(All photos and art by Amy Sperry Faldet except the gifts from Joanna Rowan Mullane, the steampunk computer from steampunk workshop blog and the perfect doll by Abi Monroe.)

18 comments:

Kiki aka Victoria said...

Super Fabulous post Amy..gorgeous art and creative photos..so dazzling and heart touching words..that flow into magic realms!
AWesome!
Kiki~

jade said...

Oh, what a lovely post........and your black bunny is sooooooooo sweet, a lot of kisses to shadow!!!! Have a wonderful weekend and thank you so much for your lovely comment,

Hugs Jade

Janine said...

What a wonderful post! Isn't it fun to draw and paint on bits of watercolor paper! I love your bunny too, so sweet!

LuLu Kellogg said...

What a wonderful and magical post dear Amy!

Abi Monroe is one of my faves!

Merry Merry My Friend!
LuLu~*xoxo

deb famularo said...

This is beautiful Amy....so pretty and peaceful...puts me in a happy place!! And that bunny, soooo sooooo cute!!!! xOxO

stregata said...

A beautiful post, Amy! Wishing you a joyful weekend. Shadow is such a darling!

Castles Crowns and Cottages said...

GOOD MORNING KINDRED SPIRIT!!!! Ahhhh, visions of sugar plums, pygmy bunnies, ballet slippers, KINDRED SPIRITS INDEED!!

Oh Amy, this was magical...all the little snippets of your mind and heart, here for us to see. THANK YOU DEAR HEART FOR YOUR VISIT; I just woke up from a lovely nap and looking outside if this Midwest storm has started and it has....staying in this weekend my dear? I am. And I LOVE IT. I want to dream this weekend along with getting a little work done but for the most part, I WILL CREATE.

MUCH LOVE to you dearest Amy and stay tucked in; this is gonna be a big storm according to the weather people and a great time to come up with more creations!!!

BISES, Anita

Lori Saul said...

What beautiful photo art- calming and enchanted. Your bunny is precious and is a creature of wonder and warmth. Your posts always remind me to slow down and savor the important things. Happy Holidays to you and yours Amy!

lila Check said...

Super Fabulous post Amy!!!

La Petite Gallery said...

From your art we see your soul. You are so enchanting, everything is so
Alice in wonderland. Thanks for sharing with us your lovely talent.

wishing you a Happy Holiday.

yvonne

Faerie Moon Creations said...

What a gorgeous, gorgeous post! Your little baby bunny is sooooo amazingly cute. I love Abi's dolls as well - they are so ethereally lovely. Just everything about this post was mystically beautiful. Thanks so much - and thank you for your visit with me!!! :) Theresa

Zuzu said...

Beautiful post, Amy! Joy is always with us isn't it? We just need to open our hearts and let it in.
Hugs,
Zuzu

Terri Kahrs said...

As always, your post is beautiful and thought provoking, Sweet Amy. You've sprinkled sunshine and a bit of magic on my day!!! Hugs & Blessings, Terri xoxo

Castles Crowns and Cottages said...

Oh precious angel,

YOU CAME! AND....that display is in my living room! I made the fairy and I put her under a cloche and my HUSBAND put the moss under the candelabra!! What a menche...what an artist!

ARE YOU GETTING GLOBBERED LIKE US WITH SNOW? WOOOOOOO I have never seen this much snow!!

GROSSES BISES and LOOK UP INTO THE SKY AND SEE MY SMILING FACE!

Anita

Rose Brier Studio said...

Such a wondrous post. Joy has always reminded me of a butterfly -- sometimes you can't hold on to it, but when you're quiet it comes and sits on your hand or arm or hair and you are delighted!

I love all the pretties you have shown, they make me smile.
~Marilee

Christel Hutson said...

Dear Amy, another beautiful post! It is always such a nice place to visit, and you have a way of making people feel so welcomed. Little Shadow has stolen my heart! Just adorable. I wish you and your family a wonderful Holiday Season May all your dreams come true. XOXOX Christel

Róisín said...

Beautiful words as ever Amy, and Shadow is so adorable! I really want to get my fiance a bunny for Christmas but we're planning on touring about or even emigratting in the next several months so it wouldn't be fair on the poor wee thing. Though we have been talking about this for years and still haven't got round to it, maybe I could get him one... Oh, Shadow has really thrown me into something of a tizzy about this! I know a solution, we could move to the States and just come visit him instead!

Joanna Rowan Mullane said...

Thank you Dear Amy, I am so very glad that you liked your little surprise! This is a wonderful post and it just warms my heart to read it! Wishing you a beautiful holiday season!
With love,
Joanna