Tuesday, October 19, 2010

I know the water well, it is like my air, like my heart and I will miss it now that Autumn whispers adieu to warm waters...


I seek the water and the wild when the Autumn comes. I can't keep from the cool and the green. I know they are taking their last Undine breath before going back under. I know the water well and swim like it is a second life, a faerytale thinking, a quiet decision to another world. I miss this when the wind turns fierce. I want so to swim with berries in my mouth, sit on the bottom in the sand while they dissolve slowly on my taste buds. It is so quiet and soothing when sitting nearly weightless and I wish to remember the Undine of my thoughts all Winter... for it is times like these when I wish for warm waters and green, verdant Nature and songs wafting across the waves. I am tied with ropes of love and joy here in my place that turns so cold, but, dream, still Undine thoughts and live with that watery peace in my heart always...

This image below is from the movie, Ondine. The image above is of the water spirits that a friend sent me that dance around my heart keep the sweet salt in my tears of joy, love, loss and life. Blessings all.

Can you find the Autumn Olive, red with glitter, silver and fae? There is a "berry" that you find and it has silver scales in the light of day... I have found a book that I finally feel secure in relating to all of you the magic of finding food that is sorely rarely sought anymore. The berries and fruits of Autumn are abundant and give such pleasure to seek and find. The recipes below are from Cooking With Wild Berries and Fruits of Minnesota, Wisconsin, and Michigan by Teresa Marone. The first is for the Autumn Olive. The second is for the chokeberry. I hope to find and enjoy these soon for Nature is singing her sweet song to me and I can scarce resist.


Sweet Autumn Olive Bread


1/3 c. packed brown sugar


1/2 c. chopped walnuts, hickory nuts or other


1/4 t. nutmeg


3 eggs


3 T. vegetable oil


3 T. cream


3/4 c. autumn olive puree from cooked fruits


2/3 c. white sugar


2 1/4 c. buttermilk baking mix


Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a loaf pan generously with nonstick spray; set aside. Combine in a small bowl, brown sugar, nuts and nutmeg, mixing well with your fingers; set aside. Add eggs, oil and cream to a mixing bowl; beat well with a fork. Add autumn olive puree and white sugar, and beat with fork well. Add baking mix, and stir with the fork until mix is completely moistened; there may still be a few small lumps in the batter. Pour half of the batter into the prepared loaf pan, spreading evenly. Sprinkle brown sugar mixture evenly over batter; top with remaining batter. Bake for 50 to 60 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Remove from oven and let stand 10 min.


Pear and Chokeberry Mincemeat


2 lbs. ripe but firm Anjou or Bartlett pears


2/3 c. fresh chokeberries


2 T. freshly squeezed lemon juice


2/3 c. sugar


3/4 c. water, divided


1/2 c. golden raisins


2 t. corn syrup


1/4 c. dried cranberries


1/2 t. cinnamon


1/2 t. all spice


1/4 t. nutmeg


1/4 t. salt


3/4 c. chopped pecans


2 T. rum or 1/2 t. rum extract


2 T. unsalted butter


Peel, quarter and core pears and place in food processor workbowl, cutting each piece into thirds as you add to the workbowl. Add chokeberries and lemon juice and chop until pears are course, with piece no larger than 1/2 in. Set aside.


In heavy-bottomed non-alum. 4 qt. saucepan, stir sugar, 1/4 c. h2O and syrup. Cook over med heat, stirring constantly with a wooden spoon until sugar dissolves and mix comes to a boil. Continue to cook, stirring occasionally until mix turns golden, about 7 min. Carefully add the rest of h2O. Return the pan to med. heat and cook, stirring constantly, until hard syrup dissolves. Add pear mix, raisins, cranberries, cinnamon, allspice, nutmeg and salt. Adjust heat so mix boils gently. Cook stirring frequently until thickened 45-50 min. Add rum, nuts and butter. Cook five more min. stirring frequently. Cool completely if going to refridgerate and not can.

11 comments:

Christel Hutson said...

another lovely post Amy, it makes me wonder what type of autumn berries I might find here in Kentucky? I think I will go research this a bit..very interesting indeed. Thank you! xoxox Christel

Christel Hutson said...

ok I'm back, and heres why...I went a did a little research about the olive/ autumn berry, and I think I might actually have these growing right here in my own yard! It is 9 pm, so I will have to wait till morning light to investigate, but if so, I will take pictures and post them! I love playing detective..hehe this is fun, I hope I do in fact have these, I want to taste them. xoxox Christel Till tomorrow!

Kiki said...

Hi Amy..wonderful...what an enchanting read..beautiful post.and delsicous recipe. ..YUM! Sounds lovely and divine!!
Thanks for this magical spark of the day!
Kiki~

Incipient Wings said...

this is a wonderful post...more glorious recipes to try and lot's of magic thrown in:)
thank you.

Jessie said...

A beautiful post Amy. Thankyou. xx

Castles Crowns and Cottages said...

Oh dear, this is a recipe for enchantment in every bite!!! What a clever and lovely way to cozy us up to Autumn! BLESS YOU MY SWEET FAERIE! Anita

Silke said...

Oh, those recipes look divine! And I am like you, I LOVE autumn and I feel I have to be outside all the time as the temperature cools and the world around me displays it's glowing colors! There is such a richness to this season - it is my favorite! Much love and many blessings to you, dear friend! Silke

lila Check said...

what an enchanting place..your blog is simply delightful!
Love the recipe on today's post and will be trying it later.will let you know how it turns up.
So glad I found your blog today!
hugs
Lila

Faerie Moon Creations said...

Hello Amy - I hope you have been well. :) Thank you for another enchanting post. Ondine is one of my favorite films! I fell in love with it instantly. And thank you so much for the wonderful recipe. As always, I am inspired by the magic of your posts and writing. Theresa

Sheila said...

Yummy!! Sounds so wonderful; I adore the scents and flavors of Fall; nutmeg and spices. Whether in coffee or tea or cookies or bread. Thank you for sharing these wonderful goodies with us. I love the post as well; such beautiful words. Hugs, Sheila

EDEN said...

sigh.
such a beautious place to be...far beneath the sea...where all is quiet...peaceful and serene!