Friday, October 22, 2010

"A Fairy Went A-Marketing" by Rose Fyleman


A Fairy went a-marketing- She bought a little fish; She put it in a crystal bowl upon a golden dish. An hour she sat in wonderment and watched its silver gleam, and then she gently took it up and slipped it in a stream. A Fairy went a-marketing- She bought a colored bird; It sang the sweetest, shrillest song that ever she had heard. She sat beside its painted cage and listened half the day, and then she opened wide the door and let it fly away. A Fairy went a-marketing- She bought a winter gown all stitched about with gossamer and lined with thistledown. She wore it all afternoon with prancing and delight, then gave it to a little frog to keep him warm at night. A Fairy went a-marketing- She bought a gentle mouse to take her tiny messages, to keep her tiny house, all day she kept its busy feet pit-patting to and fro and then she kissed its silken ears, thanked it, and let it go.

13 comments:

Terri Kahrs said...

Lovely images are flitting through my mind of that busy (and generous) little fairy!!! Thank you for the "smile" today, Sweet Amy!!! Hugs & Blessings, Terri xoxoxo

Castles Crowns and Cottages said...

WOWOWWWWW! That was a magical moment indeed, my friend! Happy sunshine to you today. I sit here on a day off from school, creating my heart out and I am loving it. Bisous precious one; come on by. I mention you for your kindness. Love, Anita

faerwillow said...

~i felt as if i was walking along as the faerie went a marketing...such magic you weave in your stories shared...warm wishes and brightest blessings~

Georgianna said...

Oh, this has sent me dancing on tiptoe around the garden, dear Amy! Thank you, as always, for a delicious sprinkle of magic to start the day as only you can create. xo – g

Zuzu said...

Amy, OH, Amy! How I love this wonder-filled faerytale space brimming with love and joy! Such a delightful tale!

And thank you, thank you for your sweet little faery-sized book comment at my blog. :) I LOVED what you shared!

Happiest of weekends to you, dear one!
~ Zuzu

Faerie Moon Creations said...

How beautiful! As I was reading the prose, it became a little sing-along in my head. Loved it!!! What a lovely and fun way to start off the weekend. xoxo Theresa

LuLu Kellogg said...

What a beautiful little prose!

It makes me want to skip around just like a little kid :)

Love,
LuLu~*xoxo

apinkdreamer said...

hi! i have a fairy surprise for you on my blog!!!!!

b.b.flockling * Rose said...

This is the sweetest poem I have ever read! The visions these words paint are priceless!!...love, Rose

fanciliciousfairylands said...

I have that catchy little tune in my head and am happy to carry it with me throughout the evening:)

Have a terrific night my friend!

ruthie said...

Beautifully painting pictures of faerie markets in my mind.

Castles Crowns and Cottages said...

You are so kind.....thank you for coming by again. Oh, we are having such high winds and terrible weather today! BATTEN DOWN THE HATCHES OUT YOUR WAY DEAR ONE! Anita

Kiki said...

So sweet and poetic...gorgeous magical post!
HUgs
V~