Thursday, October 14, 2010

"Children love... it is what they do." ~ Amy Sperry Faldet


I love art, swirls and twirls, breezes and birds in nests, family, unselfish friends who love and give and thus, receive.

I love reading and writing about good. About beauty, love, dreaming, friends, kindness.


I love to learn new things... and pink and green... as you all know by now...



I wake with a gentle stir, hearing a whisper. My four year old is lying in bed in his room next to ours, smiling and saying all his loves. "I love blue, I love sky, I love paint, I love leaves, I love this pillow, I love shoes, I love my toe..." I think about all they say they love in one day, children, all they love and it refreshes. I feel my brain and heart become softer, sweeter, fresh with new dew. They are our teachers, of course. Time after time they are sent to us and all that joy and all that we should love is reminded with every precious coo, hop, skip, noticing, smile and snuggle. I have met many adults in the last few years that hold that childlike magic in their hearts still. I am featuring just two of the many, and their art, above. I am showing you above some things I love from the amazing semi-annual art magazine, Somerset Workshop. My dear, one of my besties, is a feature artist in this month's Somerset Workshop. Her name is Rena Veerkamp Askey and she is a sunshine giggle if I have ever met one. She makes me sparkle when we talk on the phone. I am proud to know her. She gushed, delightfully, about family, Mom, friends and her loves, and about me in one of the articles and featured our collaboration, Paisley Swirls. You know I stood there in Borders Bookstore and read what she said and saw all her gorgeous creations and I had to think of soooo many things to not just burst with sweet tears there in front of everyone. She always touches my heart. She is always real. She knows me. She stops by and is family, no phone call needed. She is good with my messy, ecclectic, haunted-house-type, loving, home with our dog, cat, snake, rabbit, fish, hamster and the many children that love to come hang out with my four darlings and she is my friend. I am blessed to know such a spirit and artist. So, these are some of my joys, to know Stampington and Company and the beauty they produce and celebrate, everyday, as in Rena's case, and to have such a friend. The joy is furthered by having in that same Somerset Workshop, the most darling pumpkin of a girl, Vanessa Valencia!!!! She is magic and sweet, intelligent and joyous, giddy and a lover of life, art, Nature and being. I celebrate her, as well. Pick up your copy at Barnes and Noble or Border's or any major craft store and you will have a "how-to" treasure and gallery to behold.




Don't forget, as well, that Saturday is Vanessa Valencia's A Fanciful Twist Halloween Party, so join all of us and put on your costumes and step through the veil for awhile...

12 comments:

Jennifer said...

Thanks for the blog post Amy. It was so nice. I'm glad you enjoyed Somerset Workshop.

Georgianna said...

Oh, dear Amy, such a delight of a post! What a way to start my morning – imagining your wee one reciting his "loves". So precious and you are right – they are the teachers. And I can't wait to get my copy of Somerset Workshop. Vanessa is an inspiration in a multitude of ways and Rena, too. I'm so happy you have such a friend that can drop in for tea – I want to drop in for tea at your house, too! And don't forget, my dear, that you are one of the greatest holders and champions of childlike magic and light. They shine from you like a welcome beacon. Have a beautiful day. xo – g

Zuzu said...

Oh my goodness, Amy! What a wonderful post! I loved reading about your dear friendships and your sweet little one! :)

Hugs,
~Zuzu

Terri Kahrs said...

Ohhhh . . . . how I LOVED hearing about your "Little One's" loves!!! It put a huge smile on my face and a song in my heart, as did your loving words of friendship!!! Hugs & Blessings, Terri xoxo

Beth Niquette said...

You write such beautiful words...I love reading them.

Rena said...

Oh Amy, you are truely one of the best and most amazing people that I am fortunate enough to know. Your post was so beautiful, beyond any words I can seam to conjur up right now, please know...how much you have touched my heart. You are so loved. Thank YOU for making me feel like a part of your beautiful family.

Róisín said...

If I wasn't broody already Amy, I am now! Oh, I can't wait to have a little one to teach me things! Now just to get that man of mine on board... :)

See you at the shindig on Saturday!

Roisin x

Castles Crowns and Cottages said...

Oh AMy, this is what I love....all the positive and constructive words, actions and sentiments that only children can teach us and KEEP us in..thank you for being there for us all! LOVE YOU! Anita

april said...

Beautiful post...and I just picked up my copy of Somerset Workshop and am delighted to read all the extra information here to go along with the articles! Thank you.

Faerie Moon Creations said...

I was most excited to pick up a copy of this magazine! I kept checking the newsstands constantly until it came out. I was so thrilled to see such beauty in it, and I was especially happy to find tutorials from the darling Vanessa. :) Thanks for showing a sneak peek for those who might not have seen the mag yet! Theresa

Jorgelina said...

Beautiful post!!
Hugs

kat said...

Amy,
I came by your blog from dear Zuzu's place. And now I am delighted to see my dear friend Georgianna commenting here too!
I adored your writing and the joy and emotion your friends created for you. I wish I could have the Somerset magazine here but Borders has closed in the Uk.
I shall see about ordering one online if I can.
They do so many publications it's so hard to choose though isn't it!
I live with childlike or fairy-like wonder in my heart it really helps me to live positively while I'm healing.
Take care and all good wishes from England!
Kat xx