Saturday, August 14, 2010

I write where the sweet ghosts play... old, chippy, quite ancient really and I love it that way...


When I wake, I want to look over and see light playing in the dust, whispering sunshine over the ancient decor for one more morning...

I want my porch to have memory ghosts brushing their skirts on the old crocodile paint...


I have old student desks for each of my four children and they get tucked around the house as they grow too big... like the cobwebs... I haven't the heart to clear them away... they tell so much... Old mirrors, plumes and tea-dipped papers wait, watched, wondering, if I will light the candle and write...My Moonstar kitty and my Maggie dog join us out here, day or night, playing with the furniture ghosts I love so much...do you see her back there on my other writing desk, eyes lit in the morning air?





I know there is nothing "show quality" about my choices anywhere in my house, and that is exactly how I want it. I want the cobwebs to tell stories of plants that grew in the past, windows once looked out of, sheltering old wood screening me from the need to keep up with expectations... People love to sit here and tell me about their lives, knowing only soft listening happens here... My children, my husband, and I lay around and read here, dream here, wake here... this was taken by my three year old as he sat on my lap last night...
I fill it with finds from this house which is full of old nests, Mc Coy pottery and furniture older than my Mother... it comforts me to be held by memories...


This collage, I made, is the only art in the whole porch. It is titled, "Sell Your Cleverness for Bewilderment."


These branches fell one year off one of our bushes and so I hung them with fishing line and they kind of hover there in the most wonderful spooky way... Thanks Molly for helping me put them up a few years ago...
Looking in on my art desk in the living room and through the window out to the barn... do you see the tiny little fingerprints in the dust? Who could wipe them away, most, but not I... so tiny...
When you look into the house through either of the two sets of French doors, you feel part and apart... in a good way...

Spooky houses, comfort in the cobwebs, old porches, furniture ghosts...












14 comments:

duendes said...

hello,I wish you an awesome weekend.

Zuzu said...

It's wonderful, Amy! A gentle kind of place where one can be one's happy, relaxed self!

Wishing you a beauty-filled weekend,
Zuzu

Georgianna said...

Amy, so much magic in your porch and in this post. I love that you embrace the well-earned remnants of your home's memories. Beautifully written and resonating with the precious days spent enveloped there. xo – g

Bella said...

What a beautiful place and you describe it perfectly. I swear I can feel the atmosphere emanating from those photos ~ the place has an ethereal quality to it. It looks like people have sat there for years and years sharing memories.

Mae said...

i love your memory ghosts

Castles Crowns and Cottages said...

Oh, now this is where the magic begins and lives dearest, in your own BACK YARD.....THANK YOU FOR THE INVITATION TO SIT BACK WITH YOU!!!! Anita

april said...

Looks absolutely so comfortable. I love all your "things". Wonderful collage! Would love to be on that porch during a gentle rainstorm.

LuLu Kellogg said...

What a wonderfully magical place...especially if there are sweet ghosts dancing about.

stregata said...

There is nothing like pieces of furniture that have a past, that speak of days gone by - to give a home a soul.
Lovely, Amy.
Wishing you a wonderful Sunday.

Silke said...

Oh, I wish I had a porch like you! That's where I'd spend my time reading and dreaming and napping... It looks like it envelopes anyone out there with comfort and love! Have a magical Sunday!! Love, Silke

Terri Kahrs said...

What a wonderful place - chock full of wonderful memories, those already made and many more to come. Thank you SO much for sharing your special place, Amy! Hugs & Blessings, Terri xoxo

孫邦柔 said...

要在憂患恥辱的環境裡,創造我們自力更生的新生活。..................................................

璇陳陳陳竹 said...

來看你了~心在、愛在、牽掛在,幸福才會繁衍不息^^...............................................................

faerie finder said...

absolutely enchanting dear one!!! ♥
it is rightly fitting to have such a soft
and safe place to grow your magic.
the colors so cool & warm.
thank you for posting this
it has inspired me today ♥
fairy hugs & fairy kisses
xoxo