Wednesday, August 11, 2010

"Adopt the pace of Nature: her secret is patience." ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson











Hollyhock of a different pace, I have waited for you for so long... the faeries drum the slow dew drop beat and you listen as I can't hear. Wait, it says. Patience, it says. Seize the night of your unknowing, Carpe Noctum, bring it to your chest with soft embrace. Allow a soft pace. Things become at their own time. Hollyhock, I would run to you each Summer waiting for you to bloom. You were Grandma's and now you are mine. But, since you have not bloomed each Summer since we arrived to live here, I have missed you.




The night brought you out. I woke to find you. Carpe noctum. I did not know your pace. I know you were waiting now to live among the other stars of the garden, those five-pointed stars of perfect growth. You smile upon the tomatoes and pumpkins. You knew you would come. I did not. I was in the dark. Now I, too, have grown for knowing your pace. I am blessed.




"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away."
Four years I have waited for this hollyhock of my childhood memories to bloom, just as I waited for the wisteria as shown from a previous post of mine. I live in the home that my Mom and her three sisters grew up in and remember coming here as a Grand daughter and wisteria and hollyhocks, berries and wildflowers filled my head. Waiting... it is so hard sometimes, don't you think? I have such things I want to know now, do now, find now, create now. I would like the pace to be mine, but, it does not belong to me, just as, truly, these marvels of Nature in my yard are not mine. I watch over them when they need it. If I am patient with myself, I will see myself anew, grow, change and embrace the quiet sleep of unknowing the future, carpe noctum.




~ Henry David Thoreau

17 comments:

Castles Crowns and Cottages said...

God morning dear one! I am the first here today, and that in itself,is a first! Thank you for your kind words and visit....magic always sparks when you come my way! Have a blessed day, and enjoy the pace of this most wonderful of seasons. Love to you, Anita

Zuzu said...

I just came in from watching the honey bees in the fireweed blossoms - something I was waiting for last winter when snowflakes flew.

How joyful for you to see the hollyhock bloom again, Amy!!!

Silke said...

Oh, what beauty you spread once again! Those hollyhocks are just gorgeous!!! In New Mexico we had deep purple ones that almost looked like black velvet - they were glorious! We planted some this year and I hope they'll bloom next year... Ah, yes, the pace of summer is slow one here and sometimes I get impatient! But nature knows best I think... Much love, Silke

Bella said...

I love that quote. Patience is one of those things I was not blessed with in abundance.

Sandie said...

Such a lovely sentiment about patience expressed in this post - thankyou for reminding me of going with the flow, and enjoying the here and now !

Fair Rosamund said...

Such beautiful pictures, and a wonderful reminder to be patient, thank you! I hope you are having a lovely day :) ~Lauren

Terri Kahrs said...

A garden has so many lessons to teach. I've learned patience from seeds and tenacity from weeds! LOL! Beautiful post - and I'm soooo happy your garden is 'reverting' to it's original state. Hugs & Blessings, Terri xoxo

4464 said...

成功可招引朋友,挫敗可考驗朋友......................................................................

Faerie Moon Creations said...

It is quite true that good things come to those who wait. Patience has never been one of my strongest suits. But when you see such wondrous beauty - it really does pay to be a patient girl. :) Thank you for sharing such lovely words and images. Theresa

Abi said...

Hollyhocks are beautiful. The drawing of the lass on the pumpkin in your previous post... is she one of your creations? I love it :O)

468ds said...

開懷幸福的生活,是每個人的夢想~~希望大家都能夠實現!..................................................................

~Onreeone~ said...

new follower...i love the holly hocks and is that how far along your pumpkins are this year? I was just happy to see a few small green ones out there in my makeshift pumpkin match. I say makeshift because every year we throw our pumpkins out behind the shed and every year we get a pumpkin patch from the seeds buring themselves back into our glorious Earth.

Georgianna said...

Oh, Amy, I'm glad I waited for a peaceful moment to enjoy every word of this heartfelt post. The deep connections you must feel to you wonderful home are so enriching to share. Like this hollyhock, you are blooming and growing in unexpected ways and it is a joy for all of us to witness. I hope you are able to enjoy each second of these special days. xo – g

VERBENA.... NESTED TREASURES said...

stopped by to send you sweet smiles...haven't been blogging much hope you are great!

素郭青素郭青 said...

第一次來這裡 愛上你的部落格 感謝你的分享...............................................................

孫邦柔 said...

Necessity is the mother of invention.......................................................................

april said...

Your words and your drawings and your photographs - all so beautiful. I too love hollyhocks, bringing memories of my grandmother. And I love fairies and fairy tales!