Thursday, July 29, 2010

Beads, Broomsticks, and The Dusty Princess...


Faerytales are always about seeing through the trials, the mess, solving the riddle, traveling the extra mile... and doing it with graciousness, courage, and style...

Faerytales are always about how you look at things...


Broomsticks and broomstick wrinkles...



My daughter picked up the August issue of Allure magazine yesterday when we were out shopping for dog food, cleaning supplies and the like. It had a full 8 page spread on the fairytale princess concept... you know, harkening back to childhood daydreams, stories, playing the sweet, light Princess or the luscious red-lipped queen. It was a fun article, terribly frothy, yes, but fun to look at between the dog food acquisition and the sweeping and chores once home...




That and a few wonderful emails with a dear editor has me thinking about faerytale (I know, I know, when aren't I? The Dusty Princess, that I am, I know, of facts on all things vintage illustrator, Art Nouveau, Belle Epoque, Faerytale... will wonders never cease... hee hee)




Anyway...




The article in Allure mentioned a book, The Use of Enchantment: The Meaning and Importance of Fairytales.




Since I have never read it, of course it is going on my list for library request... ahh the library and that good old book smell... oops stay focused, ;)




So, I began a string of beads, just thoughts on a string, about the relevance of fairy stories in my world... I know the scholarly relevance, having worn thin my Joseph Campbell books... but, where does it pop-up in my daily life outside of the Realm of Bloglandia and my bibliophile tendencies?




I can see it when I polish the table after seven or eight delightful children finish their repas and then take a moment to polish my nails... this is Princess.




I can see it when I hold my broom and sweep after my two best furry pals, Maggie Princess Yellow Fur, our lab, and Moonstar, my tiny black cat (who chose us and blessed us ever since) while I wear a chocolate broomstick skirt and my blush pink cami and barefeet.




I can see it in the way a bee can't for I can see the work and the blossom. That is faery. That is Princess.




I can see it as I put out the freshly laundered sheets to flap in the Summer breeze and then walk into my bathroom and give myself my requisite Summer Flapper haircut in an effort to keep posh in the hot steamy July sun. This is Princess. (I have cut my own hair for a couple years now... for think of the art supplies one could buy if one didn't have to pay for a cut and color every month! Just a Dusty Princess thought from me to you.)




I could see the beads spilled in the scattered glitter on a freshly painted aqua canvas and moan "Oh, what a disaster..." or I could see the sparkle and the wonder and feel the exquisite joy my three year old must have felt to see how it all came out of tubes and rolled all over the canvas... that is my faerytale... I like it there and I will stay there in that land for all time and for happily ever after...
Drawing by me, the Dusty Princess, at a time when I had a two year old, a three year old, and a newly turned five year old! Sakes! I was a busy lady... once upon a time...




17 comments:

Zuzu said...

Your drawing is wonderful!

Little bit by little bit, I share the fairy-like things I see where I live. Fairy Slipper Orchids (they really do look like delicate shoes for wee ones), and the deep woods where one's imagination is keen.

And now I find myself decorating our tiny cottage in fairytale style! Little things like a candle on an ornate shelf, pressed botanicals, keys and ribbons, and bunny garden statues. I have also just started creating a space for a fairy garden outdoors.

Indeed, if we look closely - we can see it!!!

:)
Zuzu

Stace said...

I'm not sure I'd want to live in a fairy tale, but I wouldn't mind a little happy ever after...

Thanks for the heads up about the Allure spread; I want to check it out. The Uses of Enchantment book is well worth reading!

Kiki said...

Beautiful post Amy..as alwasy an enrichment of the spirit..wonderful. Everyday is magic..that is how I see life..we embody that special magic within our owm little stories of everyday life... and it sparkles through all we do.
Gorgeous post.
Kiki~

duendes said...

hi,your blog is already an enchanted world.beautiful.big hugs

Such a Wondrous Place this Faery Space said...

I love what you find! Thanks for showing us! Blessings, Amy

Such a Wondrous Place this Faery Space said...

Ahh... but you already are in a faerytale of your own creation. You write the next page, how you see the characters that come into your world, how you grow and explore and you are in charge of your happily ever after. Just a thought. Thanks dear. Blessings.

Such a Wondrous Place this Faery Space said...

I just adore how you see. Glad to know your spirit! Blessings dear.

Such a Wondrous Place this Faery Space said...

Hugs back and such thanks! Blessings.

Faerie Moon Creations said...

A truly lovely post, as always. You give me so very much to think about when I visit with you. :) I think I shall look into that book you spoke of. And I must say that your princess is absolutely stunning. Perhaps a wee faerie tale could accompany her? Theresa :)

Terri Kahrs said...

There are many stories to be written and magic to be seen only if we open our hearts and our eyes to the wonders that surround us. My fairytale includes flowers drenched in dewdrop prisms, butterflies floating in a soft breeze, the kiss of the sun on my face, and the colors, sights and sounds of life around me. Thank you for sharing your story, Amy! Blessings & Love, Terri xoxo

Castles Crowns and Cottages said...

Good afternoon dear one! We were born to tell a story in our own way...the help of others' views, the whys and whos of this fabulous world of folklore and legend is all wonderful. But we also can create our own pace, our own rhythm and language and like the Piper, have people follow what we create out of sheer enchantment...you do this well, and do it as you know best. You will continue to flower and spread your loveliness everywhere!

Bisous, Anita

Eden Clare O'Meara said...

dearest "Dusty Princess"
I love that...I am going to
look into that book you mentioned...
as I love all those beautifully illustated tales of happily ever after too! Blessings Eden

Georgianna said...

Dear, dear, dear Amy, what a wondrous place indeed you create for us. I must always wait until I have some quiet moments to spend here for your posts must never be rushed but relished and pondered and enjoyed to the fullest. And I certainly have with this one. Thank you always for showing and celebrating the enchantment that exists. xo – g

Mae said...

thank you for the tip, i must read this book!

劉智柏 said...

很用心的blog~很喜歡~願您一切順心............................................................

謝昱廷 said...

Necessity is the mother of invention..................................................................

Rhonda Roo said...

This blog is so perfectly named that it is almost a mantra for everything you say, and the way you translate it into magic for us.

XOXOXOXOX