Wednesday, May 19, 2010

How will I leave an impression on this world, put my positive stamp on perspectives?


After spending the day discussing Student Success, a preparatory class for all incoming college students with interesting, stimulating, and engaged educators, I couldn't help but rejoice in the prospect of teaching this and helping my students leave their positive stamp on the world! I said to my family, I want to inspire, help, guide, and learn from these students. I hugged my children and my daughter said, "Well after seeing Tuesday May 11th's comments, on your blog, I think that is what you are meant to do. You inspire, teach, learn, and love knowledge. Perfect Mom, you already are leaving your impression on this world and it is beautiful." Crying upon hearing this, of course, her words left her own sweet impression. Thanks to the instructors and the members of the class for an energizing day! What I learned was that everything is about perspective.

I will tell you a tale... gather your comforts, sit around, open your mind for all begins, is and ends there...

Once upon a time a dear, great Lion woke the beasts of his land with a magical voice. His voice gave them voice and the animals were full of love, thought, and knowledge. They said, upon waking with these gifts, "We are awake. We love. We think. We speak. We know." and all this was witnessed by beautiful human children visiting from another not so magical land. The children listened without judgement, saw with clarity, accepted with wisdom and had peace. Yet, the children had been followed to this magical land by Uncle Andrew, who was without much clarity, grace, patience, or wisdom. For wisdom is kindness and of that he had none. Well, he had held back, behind the trees, guarded and closed watching the same events that the children saw and yet, this is what he chose...

" Ever since the animals had first appeared, Uncle Andrew had been shrinking further and further back into the thicket. He watched them very hard of course; but he wasn't really interested in seeing what they were doing, only in seeing whether they were going to make a rush at him. Like the Witch, he was dreadfully practical. He simply didn't notice that Aslan was choosing one pair out of every kind of beasts. All he saw, or thought he saw, was a lot of dangerous wild animals walking vaguely about. And he kept on wondering why the other animals didn't run away from the big Lion.

When the great moment came and the Beasts spoke, he missed the whole point; for a rather interesting reason. When the Lion had first begun singing, long ago when it was still quite dark, he had realized that the noise was a song. And he had disliked the song very much. It made him think and feel things he did not want to think and feel. Then, when the sun rose and he saw that the singer was a lion ("only a lion," as he said to himself) he tried his hardest to make believe that it wasn't singing and never had been singing-- only roaring as any lion might in a zoo in our own world. "Of course it can't really have been singing," he thought, "I must have imagined it. I've been letting my nerves get out of order. Who ever heard of a lion singing? And the longer and more beautiful the Lion sang, the harder Uncle Andrew tried to make himself believe that he could hear nothing but roaring. Now the trouble about trying to make yourself stupider than you really are is that you very often succeed. Uncle Andrew did..."

This is from The Magician's Nephew and it represents so much of our potential to me. The class that I want to be a part of my path is focused on keeping the mind open, learning from each other, understanding time and perspective and making your vision your own and making it come to fruition. This is an impression, a stamp of good on this world. I love that the other instructors today live like the small children in this story and not like Uncle Andrew. Life is good.


15 comments:

stregata said...

There are too many Uncle Andrews in the world. What we pass on to the children, is what we pass on to the world. Bless you for inspiring the teachers!

Castles Crowns and Cottages said...

Oh Amy, HOW TRUE THIS ALL IS! I have learned in the last year, FROM BLOGGING, how very important it is to keep POSITIVE! You hear it and people say it, but when you have the chance to COMPOSE thoughts for an AUDIENCE, you are given the responsibility to make the choice for words that will either heal, encourage and uplift, or be nothing but symbols and unorganized thoughts of static state of mind. Thank you for always being that light at the end of the tunnel, that twinkle of potential and lamp to light the path. I have learned so much from you and other caring souls here in blogland, where one is more apt to stop and think, revise and edit before speaking!

Bisous my dearest, Anita

Castles Crowns and Cottages said...

..and the feeling is so mutual dearest Amy! Anita

Terri Kahrs said...

Awww . . . the power of choice! Do we choose light and inspiration or darkness and a solitary life?!? Beautiful story, Amy, filled with thought provoking ideas and wonderful imagery. Blessings & Hugs, Terri xoxo

PS - The girl's legs in my piece were lightly colored, but I used a watercolor wash to enhance them a bit more.

Silke said...

I am so glad you are doing this, dear Amy! Inspiration is so needed. I think so many people are just so overwhelmed by the minutia and worries of daily life that they merely go through the motions. And many of them are so hungry for a different, a positive perspective! You are such a beacon of light!! Love, Silke

Kiki said...

Mega-beautiful! thankyou for always sharing your wonderfully inspiring spirit with us all! MAGIC****!
Kiki~

Janine said...

Thank you for visiting my blog!

Your blog is a magical place indeed!

The fairy pics below are wonderful, whose art is it? I would love to see more!

Such a Wondrous Place this Faery Space said...

Renate, thanks for the words! Blessings.

Such a Wondrous Place this Faery Space said...

Anita I thank-you. I am so glad to know so many positive writers and artists who feel the same! Blessings.

Such a Wondrous Place this Faery Space said...

Thanks Terri! I just love your colors and your additions to your altered art! Blessings.

Such a Wondrous Place this Faery Space said...

I appreciate it Silke! Thanks dear!

Such a Wondrous Place this Faery Space said...

You are an inspiration Kiki! Thanks.

Such a Wondrous Place this Faery Space said...

Hi dear! I will email you. Thanks for the interest and compliments! Blessings and light,
Amy

Sheila said...

How absolutely true! Our perspective and perceptions have so much impact on others - how we choose to influence others is completely up to us. I always think of the butterfly effect...and realize that I always, always have a choice. A choice to be positive or negative; a choice to take or give; a choice to live each day fully or complain about minor inconveniences. I'm sure you know the Prayer of St. Francis...I try to live this each day and it helps keep me focused and completely unlike Uncle Andrew...hugs, Sheila

Such a Wondrous Place this Faery Space said...

That is my favorite prayer and I love the one attributed to Mother Teresa, also, where she says love anyway... etc. I know you are the complete opposite of Andrew with your happy, creative spirit, Sheila! I am glad to know that joy you send out. Blessings.