Friday, April 16, 2010

"The wheel of fortune turns round incessantly, and who can say to herself, 'I shall today be uppermost.'" ~Confucius


"Happier of happy though I be, like them I cannot take possession of the sky, mount with a thoughtless impulse, and wheel there, one of a mighty multitude whose way and motion is a harmony and dance magnificent."

~ William Wordsworth

I am happy that I heard the "windy" sound and felt a loosening in my steering Wednesday coming home from the college where I will be teaching soon, for I slowed in wonder at what could be happening. It was then, that my tire blew and somehow I arrived in a gravel driveway with no ability to steer. Yet, there I was. Swerves, mermaid tails, gravel flying and me landing in a gravel drive, safe, that was my surreal spin. I had nothing for a moment in my mind right before the stop except this strange calm aqua peace and my children's, my husband's, and my parents' faces. Floaty and strangely serene, I turn off the car and then, all my friends' faces flashed, all of my dear ones here in my town and in my heart, all of you and your bright, sweet countenances. So much joy rushed forth on that completely gorgeous, blue-sky day, that honestly, I felt I was the happiest person alive. I still have not felt shaken, weepy, but, a catch in my throat comes once in awhile. I know that is my reminder; My gratitude written on my heart coming to my voice to speak through the stillness. When my husband came to change the tire, he could say that he had never seen a tire so shredded. How did you manage to stop? He changed the tire. I felt safe. He followed me in his white truck, on his white stallion. My knight will never know how grateful I am to him. He smiles and shrugs, "Of course you are o.k. the world needs your silliness."
The flowers in the pictures are from my dear friend, Jen, whom I have known since we were tiny. They were a late birthday gift on my porch. She is never late with a gift, a thank-you, she is special that way, grace-under-fire, Mom of five and angel baby that left before he could see this world. I love love that this was there on this harrowing day. I love that that is when I needed those pink affirmations, that day, not Monday, but that day. Thanks Jen. It made my day to walk in and sit with my beautiful children on my ancient, chippy, screen porch and just savor the aliveness of a Spring night. Beautiful and true is this life we breathe in each day. Beautiful and true.
I love you all so very much. You know how it is. Beautiful and true.

10 comments:

Faerie Moon Creations said...

First, a happy belated birthday to you. I am most happy to hear that you are safe after you blew that tire. How frightening that must have been for you!!! I admire your calm. And how wonderful it is to admire the beauty of the world and also appreciate how fragile each moment of each day really is. Hugs to you!!! Theresa

LuLu Kellogg said...

Happy Belated Birthday sweet one.

I am so thankful you were not hurt when your tire gave out. *breathing a sigh of relief*

Wishing you a lovely weekend!

LuLu♥

Terri said...

The beauty of life surprises us sometimes
It leaps out at us and shouts,
then a deep cool pool of being is felt within,
all is well.

stefanie said...

I am so happy you were ok, that tire looks scary!!!

stregata said...

Your guardian angel was watching over you, that is for sure. Glad you are safe, inspite of this adventure.

Castles Crowns and Cottages said...

WOW. You are safe, thank heavens, and your faith, peace and stillness is a gift to those beating hearts around you who love you and worry, but you give them the light. Amy, you are wonderful. AND HAPPY BELATED BIRTHDAY! Come.....I am celebrating my birthday too. Have a piece of calorie-free cake chez moi...come.....
Anita

Annie Robertson said...

Organic cotton clothing does not contain any toxic chemicals and so they are 100% safe for your body.
Organic Cotton Sheets

sPaRkLiNg sCrApBoOkS said...

Oh my goodness, thank God you are okay- and to remain so calm- you are amazing! Your number wasn't up yet, which is great for all of us who adore you! Happy Belated Boirthday,and many manymore my friend....I'm joining you and Anita for some cake! love deb

Kiki said...

Always beautiful to come read..love hearing of your heart-centered stories..very touching!Beautiful flowers,,such a lovely friend!Blessings!!
Kiki~

Bella said...

Oh, I am so glad you were not hurt! Your guardian angel was indeed doing her job that day. Happy belated birthday!