Thursday, March 25, 2010

A new beginning bursts forth for an amazing woman...



Once upon a time there was a talented Editor-in-Chief, her royal highness of all things art and altered, Jenny Doh. She reigned in the land of Stampington with a sure and graceful hand. She saw a vision to invite all artists to share how "Art Saves" and tell how they care. She created a portal to Crescendoh.com full of magic and giving and 100% of the Art Saves profits go to those who need help and love and to celebrate living. I ask you to read the stories of how Art Saves and keep watch all year for they will be like music to your ears. I have contributed my story about The Clearing Folk Art School and how art saved the wilderness of Door County. It will come out later this year and I am so honored to be part of something that documents what is on the minds of artists during this beautiful, blessed, and challenging time to be alive and to be an artist! Below is Jenny Doh's letter from her blog upon her decision to take this glorious new path.



FAREWELL LETTER TO ARTISTS
Dear Artists,
We love stories, don’t we? We love telling them, and we love hearing them. For the past six years, I’ve had the honor and privilege of helping facilitate the telling of your stories. These stories have largely focused on the instructional details of your most treasured creations. And when I think of the trust that you have given me by allowing me to handle your art, edit your words, and oversee the way in which your items are photographed and laid out, I am overcome with emotion and am forever grateful and indebted to you for your unwavering confidence and support.
As your Editor-in-Chief, I have also had the opportunity to share with you some of my stories. You have allowed me to recall stories from my childhood, stories that I continue to collect through motherhood, and stories that we learn through films, books, music, historical events, and current events. Through these stories, we have struggled with tough topics like originality in art, the pros and cons of technology, the concept of always becoming, and the value of embracing curiosity and courage — even if such an embrace leads us to inevitable change. Change can be scary.
But the resounding story that I’ve been able to hear, tell, and live throughout my life is that no matter how scary, no matter how tough, and no matter how dark things get, we can find the light through art. Because art saves. Art is what saved me as a young girl who held onto her yarn and knitting needles on the plane that took her from Korea to the United States. Art is what saved me when my Andrew was a baby and my Monica a toddler … as I learned to wash away the pressures of motherhood through the creation of a rubber stamped card, or a pieced quilt square.
Over the years, readers have showered me with stories of their own, to prove to me that indeed, art saves. In sickness, heartbreak, unemployment, divorce, and more … in the depths of life’s despair, readers have expressed gratitude for how they were saved from their worst nightmares by discovering art.
Many of you know that prior to my work in publishing, I was a social worker. I worked for seven years within child protective services where I interfaced with some of the most intense and radically devastating life stories.
For quite some time, it has been my dream to create a new venture that could harness the strengths of our art community to help expose the truth about the power of art. After six years as your editor, I have realized that now is the time for me to embrace this change and start this new venture.
In March of 2010, I will be launching CRESCENDOh.com — an Online Media Center with a mission to inspire creative passion, authentic community, and focused compassion. This launch is made possible with the support of an amazing new team that has convened — educators, business leaders, artists, writers, Web leaders, and more — all who support and believe in CRESCENDOh’s mission. It will be one of several key components that make up CRESCENDOh, LLC.
CRESCENDOh.com will be a place to have fun, learn about inspiring projects, shop for unique gifts, check out what’s totally hot, and most importantly, to read and share stories about how art saves. With your support, I will continue to help facilitate the telling of your stories, shine light on your creations, and in the process, help raise awareness of the world around us.
One thing I know to be true about life is that with everything, there is always a beginning, middle, and an end. And I believe it is important to do our best within all parts. I think doing our best at the end is especially difficult but very important, because how you handle things at the end will provide the foundation upon which you build your next new beginning.
I will be working until the end of January to complete shepherding the final issues of my beloved publications and to support the details that are included in a transition plan. During this time, I will guide and support my team so that they continue with the excellent work within all facets of the publishing division as new leadership blossoms. There is no staff smarter, more dedicated, more courageous, or more classy than the one that I have had the honor of building, training, and leading. We will always be Team 22936 — the amazing professional cohort that focused on a shared vision and performed miracles every day to make it happen. I am so proud of them. I will miss them.
From the bottom of my heart, I thank you for having been with me, and I hope that you will come along with me to CRESCENDOh, as we work together to cast the brightest light on creative passion, authentic community, and focused compassion.
Let us begin,
Jenny Doh, Editor-in-Chief & Director of Publishing
DEDICATION: JANICE LOWRY
I dedicate the past six years of this incredible journey to the loving memory of my dear friend and mentor, Janice Lowry, who I am certain is guiding and protecting me today. Janice was a woman who was saved through art, and whose art saved many and will save countless others for generations to come. As I embark on this new beginning to complete what I know to be my destiny, I will hold close to my heart, the last words that Janice offered me, which is to “keep working and enjoy the process.”
MUSICAL INSPIRATION FOR THE COURAGE TO PURSUE MY NEXT BEGINNING
Running to Stand Still as performed by U2

STAY TUNED
Slowly, deliberately, and thoroughly, I will be sharing on this blog, the details of what CRESCENDOh is all about, and how you can be part of it. Stay with me …
Jenny Doh
Founder & President
CRESCENDOh, LLC
Here is the link to the posts that will be updated with stories on how "Art Saves."

16 comments:

LuLu Kellogg said...

Anything she does is absolutely wonderful♥

GardenDesigner said...

It is going to be a classic movement that will continue to inspire for years & years to come!!! So close to our hearts!
Thanks for sharing this with every one!

***I want to remind every one that you can go on her blog and pick up a button to put on your blog to promote the awareness!! :)

~Vanessa
RhinestoneContessa.com

stregata said...

Powerful things are in movement!

Castles Crowns and Cottages said...

Oh dearest, it is so refreshing to see that there is always a new beginning for someone. THis is what makes life bearable.

Hoping that you have a fabulous day! Anita

Jessie said...

Thankyou for such an inspiring post.xx

Terri Kahrs said...

When I first heard that Jenny was leaving, I was so very sad. But when I read her letter, I understand and am thrilled about her new beginnings. How wonderful that you have an opportunity to spread her light and wisdom! I'm thrilled for you, Amy! Blessings & Hugs, Terri xoxo

Georgianna said...

When I first heard some distant rumblings of Crescendoh, I felt immediately Jenny Doh was launching something that would prove to be truly monumental. Very aligned purposes and star-high goals for so many like-minded souls. Congratulations on your contribution. Thank you as always for your lovely comments. I look forward to and cherish them. xo – g

Such a Wondrous Place this Faery Space said...

I agree Lulu! Blessings.

Such a Wondrous Place this Faery Space said...

Thanks Vanessa! I think it is a great time to document what artists can do and what they think. Blessings.

Such a Wondrous Place this Faery Space said...

I hope that our world will become more and more compassionate and creative. Blessings.

Such a Wondrous Place this Faery Space said...

Everyday is a beginning. It is true. Blessings friend.

Such a Wondrous Place this Faery Space said...

Thanks Jessie! You are so welcome. Go over to her site and thank her for the inspiration. Blessings friend.

Such a Wondrous Place this Faery Space said...

I am honored to be part of something so touching. Blessings to you Terri!

Such a Wondrous Place this Faery Space said...

Thanks Georgianna! I am proud to be an artist in this time. Blessings.

Silke said...

I love new beginnings and fresh ventures! I am off to Crescendoh to check it out. Wishing you a magical Sunday!! Love, Silke

Becky Shander said...

Hi Amy, I'm a big fan of Jenny's too. Her amazing talents along with her giving heart will continue to bring goodness to others.

Your blog is very beautifully presented and I look forward to visiting again.