Monday, March 22, 2010

I dreamt a faerytale moment with lamplight, rose petals, and all the quiet, delicious things in life...


A Mother and her son fell asleep in the light of Spring, tired but happy she dreamt of pretty things...

She dreamt that she stirred and laid the child down in his soft bed, smiling. She stepped into the bathroom to wash and draw the tub water to relax in a bathroom fit for a Queen...


It is soft to wake and find a faerytale dream's sparkle still resting on my cheeks... To dream of Briar Rose, the Sleeping Beauty, the waking of potential, thought stolen and dormant, but reclaimed by love... that is a sublime thought to ponder... Sometimes one needs to steep to, to be still, to dream, to have one's gifts come to fruition like

Rose petals into jelly... with the help of water, juice from two lemons, and sugar..."Pick one liter of scented roses...English rose Noble Antony (David Austen), Tuscany Superb, Gloire de Dijon, and Compassion. I don't spray my roses, ... so they're okay to eat. I had no idea what a litre of rose petals looks like, so I went out with a colander which I half-filled. Too many, it turned out, but no matter, they'd have needed dead-heading soon anyway. You want them blousily open, but not over. Check for scent as you pick, because some roses become more scented as the flowers develop, others lose their scents quickly. Pull the petals off the stalk, and loosely fill one litre measuring jug. Check for insects--I put several earwigs back into the garden, as well as, a couple of small grasshoppers. Put the petals in a stainless steel saucepan with a litre of water, bring to the boil and simmer for 15 minutes. They will completelyl lose their colour, and the water will turn a murky shade of reddish-brown, deliciously scented. Strain this into a glass bowl and cool.

Next you add the lemon juice, and a magical thing happens--the murky brown suddenly becomes a beautiful and bright pink. Pour this back into the pan, and add one kilo of sugar (I used preserving sugar because I happened to have it in the house, but ordinary sugar would do just as well, it would just take a little longer to dissolve.) When the sugar has disappeared, turn up the heat a little and bring to the boil. It will take 10 minutes to reach setting point, or you can use a sugar thermometer.

Leave it to cool a little before bottling-- if you do this, you'll find that much of the scum disappears. I never bother to skim the scum, because I don't enter my jellies in the produce show, and because it's perfectly edible-- it disappears if you're heating up the jelly later (the main reason I make jellies is to liven up sauces.)

Bottling isn't too much of a palaver, although you need to sterilize the jars..." ~ Joanna

(Amy adds,)

Then pour in and let them sit and run the tub, soak away your cares and change into your "softests."


So, there you have it, in less than an hour you have brought roses into your world. You have treated yourself to a walk in the garden or to an organic farm with roses and generous owners, the feel of rose petals in your hands, heady scents wafting in and around your corridors, the sense of accomplishment at doing something divine for yourself and ahhhh... the magic of the lemon added to the potion to bring back a youthful, vibrant pink to your jelly.





(Princess Joanna of the Kingdom of Joannasfood.blogspot.com ever so graciously instructs us how to step out into the garden, make rose jelly for a mini repas of scones and tea after a long soak in the tub. Go see for yourself.)

The photos of the tub and the Kohler "Tales of Briar Rose" sink are from the magazine Beautiful Baths by Michael Partenio. The painting is one of mine.

Do something special and magical for yourself today, even if it is just in a dream...

22 comments:

The Josie Baggley Company said...

oh isn't that such a dreamy bathroom? Everything is so feminine. I remember making rose petal perfume as a child with my Grandmother. I love to use natural concoctions -so very satisfying.
Hope Spring has arrived where you are? It has been glorious here in Dublin -although a few tears fell from the clouds today-for the roses!
Rainey

Castles Crowns and Cottages said...

My dearest soul,

I love rose petals and the taste and scent evoke peace, non? This is the life, dreaming and making your dreams come true with rose petals.....thank you for being AMY. And thank you sweet one for coming to our little play in NOWHERE....you have a pass to come into Nowhere where we dream and draw our dreams. Love, love, love this faerytale space!!!! Anita

Kiki said...

Gorgeous...ooh that beautiful rose petal jam..delightfully inspiring!! Such beautiful photos and charming stories as always..you dazzle me! Happy Day and Sparkling Night!!
Blessing to your bright spirit!
Kiki~

Duchess of Tea said...

Darling this is such a lovely post, I read and re-read and I'm in love so eloquently written.

Amy darling thanks so much for popping in for a visit and for the sweet comment you left behind. I am also honoured to see a mention on your side-bar, a very unique idea and one that brought tears to my eyes, thanks you my friend.

Love & Hugs
Duchess

Chasing the Moon said...

I love the theme of this lovely post! You always take such care with details and it shows, too, in the beauty and magic of your blog. Thank you for this much needed reminder to take time for myself. I haven't done this in a while.

Oh, thank you for stopping by! The movie is Elizabethtown and the song is Same in any Language.


Hope you are having a fantabulous week! *Hugs*

Silke said...

Oh, roses!! And is that your bathtub?!? It's so dreamy and romantic. Love the colors, dear friend!! They are so YOU!! Dreaming of rose petals... Love, Silke

stregata said...

And I thought for sure it was your bath - obviously, it was decorated with you in mind!
Ahhh, roses! It will be awhile before there are any in the garden.
Thanks you for always leaving such sweet comments, Amy. Have an enchanted day!

Such a Wondrous Place this Faery Space said...

Hi dear! Today is scrumptious! I am glad to hear from you sweet one! Blessings to you.

Such a Wondrous Place this Faery Space said...

Hello dear Anita! Thanks dear and blessings.

Such a Wondrous Place this Faery Space said...

Thanks darling sparkle! Blessings.

Such a Wondrous Place this Faery Space said...

Ahhh... glad to link to your heavenly place. Everyone needs a little pampering and tea time. You are welcome anytime and I am glad taking a moment here touched your heart. Blessings darling Duchess!

Such a Wondrous Place this Faery Space said...

Roses are the reason the thorny parts in life are bearable and I am so glad you liked the post dear one! Blessings and thanks.

Such a Wondrous Place this Faery Space said...

O my goodness no, Silke. This is my dream bathroom from a magazine article. I would love to have this someday. Blessings dear friend. Thanks again for posting my gift to you.

Such a Wondrous Place this Faery Space said...

Anytime Renate. You are a dear. Blessings and appreciation friend.

Faerie Moon Creations said...

Rose petal jam!!! How wonderful. This was such a lovely, dreamy post. Thank you so very much for sharing this beauty with me on a chilly and damp spring evening... Theresa

VERBENA.... NESTED TREASURES said...

stopped by to say Hi! God Bless your sweet thoughtful spirit! xo Laura

Sheila said...

Oh my...so beautiful!! The scent of roses is one of my very favorite fragrances. I hope you are doing well! I just love visiting your corner; it takes me away for a couple of moments to such a nice space...Sheila

Such a Wondrous Place this Faery Space said...

I am glad to warm the heart Theresa! Blessings.

Such a Wondrous Place this Faery Space said...

Happy days Laura! Thanks for coming by! Blessings.

Such a Wondrous Place this Faery Space said...

I love making a corner of the world for the imagination and all the sweet things. So glad you love it! Thanks! Blessings Sheila!

The Artful Paper Doll said...

Hello Ms. Amy,

Oh, this sounds just heavenly. I have already treated myself to something special just in reading your post. I love the rose jelly and how incredible the the lemon juice brings back the color. It truly sounds like magic.

I am doing well. I wanted to pop over, find out what's happening in your glorious world today. Thank you for your note. I know your day today will be filled with wonder and delight.

Hugs! =D
~Kellie

Princess Camille said...

What a lovely idea, and once again lovely words! I especially loved the beginning about the magical dreams. <3