Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Life spirals, yes, but I have just the thing...


My best friend, in the middle, below, she called this week with words like this, "I am better, but, if you asked me a couple weeks ago, "Is there light at the end of the tunnel?" I would have said, "Light? Light? What is this light you speak of?" We have been friends since seventh grade and she is my heart friend and lives far from me, though we are never far apart in our thoughts. She is working on her degree, working full time, the most light-filled friend I have, and a fantastic Mother and Wife... She, too, has been on her own since sixteen and too, has smiled and known her own strength through it all. Long ago, she sent me a winged beauty with the words, "Whatever souls are made of--yours and mine are the same." by Emily Bronte. So to hear her and truly listen to how sometimes her life is a spiral of doing and becoming, (though all worth it,) hurts like the pain is mine. You are what laughter is. It is captured when you raise that eyebrow and we get those impish grins because we are glad we got lost, so we have more time to talk uninterrupted in the car. I'd get lost with you anyday and know that I am not truly lost because I go with you. So, friend know that you were meant to help, to teach, to love, and to counsel; you have for me and will again, and I will for you, anytime. You light up the world and what is that quote you love? the one you told me in the coffee house? You know the one from when you worked for Mary Kay Mueller? Oh, yeah, "Suffering is what human beings do best. What takes real courage is to be happy." ~Nathaniel Branden (Had to look it up, but you understand, because being a bibliophile, you, too, have ribbons of quotes shining sweetly in your head, hee hee) You always understand... and for that, I will say this, "I understand and I don't. This is your glorious journey of strength, so I will always be there and I won't. You understand, because you are you. So, let me give you this. You are standing on the beach dear, fast, amazing, girl, ready to run. I am standing up ahead, on the side, waving and cheering you on. You are the star. It is your race. I smile and you are off! Know this, you are beautiful today on this beach, as you are everyday and I hold in my hand a shell so you can hear your heart and know it is still there for you and a bottle of laughter if you ever need to refresh... you racing... that is the victory. You.

(She is behind the camera in this boat picture, so that we could capture a moment. Thanks for the light...)


You laugh as you run, the sea spray, the sand, all of it, nods and the sun breaks free from that determined cloud and of course, this too, is victory... "At times our own light goes out and is rekindled by a spark from another person. Each of us has cause to think with deep gratitude of those who have lighted the flame within us." ~Albert Schweitzer This is a wave to you, friend, and I raise a toast to you and let us drink this laughter in a bottle, remember the light on the water and the sparkle in our eyes. I bottled some of it up after our trip, for just such an occasion...




13 comments:

icandy... said...

OXOXOXO!!!
You are so sweet!

stregata said...

Lovely. Now I have to go find some bottled light...

Castles Crowns and Cottages said...

Amy, you bring such light and life into your friends' hearts, and to us, the light across the blogwaves is just as bright. Thank you always, Anita

Castles Crowns and Cottages said...

Yes, Amy....you bring more than you know. I will always have fond memories of Amy!!!

Bisous, Anita

Terri Kahrs said...

Amy, your post is a beautiful tribute to the light and love of friendship. Beautifully said, My Friend. Hugs & Blessings, Terri xoxo

sPaRkLiNg sCrApBoOkS said...

Now that is magical! You light up our blogging world my friend! xOxO

Such a Wondrous Place this Faery Space said...

Thanks dear Christina! Sugar back at you! Blessings.

Such a Wondrous Place this Faery Space said...

It is with you sweet Renate. Check your right pocket, hee hee. Blessings.

Such a Wondrous Place this Faery Space said...

Thanks to you dear Anita! Blessings friend.

Such a Wondrous Place this Faery Space said...

Friendship and light to you Terri! Blessings.

Such a Wondrous Place this Faery Space said...

You are such a treasure, thanks for saying these words. Blessings.

Joanna Rowan Mullane said...

You are such a beacon of light for this world my dear friend. Sending you more love and light now and always.
Joanna

Crafty Misty said...

Hello, I hope you will join to my blog....I just created it, but I dont know anyone yet....