Thursday, December 31, 2009

"And surely I'll miss you this place full of peace and light and I'd hoped you might take me back inside when the time is right...

The story of this hollyhock is strange, but, true. I have been told they show-up when remembering someone. This summer, I was out in the yard to take pictures of my favorite hollyhock, pale and pink in the mid-morning light. I captured some light and had checked all the blooms for those pesky bugs that had been trying to ravage them, when the phone rang and my dear friend, Shelley called and we sat and talked a long while, about many things, but mostly the loss of her daughter, Tricia's 22 year old boyfriend, who just fell asleep and did not wake up a few weeks before and remembering my aunt who had passed and some of the comforts of remembering the sweetest ones. Just then, something caught my eye and made me walk over to the hollyhock. One of the
blooms had this stripe. This is the palest hollyhock, you have seen me photograph it many times and show you and it has never had this coloring show up. I told Shelley what I had found and she asked, "Has it happened before?" "No." I said. "When did you see it?""Just now after we have been talking on the phone." She said, "Well, I would have to look it up to remember for sure, but, that happens sometimes for remembrance of a cherished one." I was silent.
So, though this was not to be my last post for the year, nor really a post at all, before Monday, Dec. 28th, 2009 occurred and an artist and spirit I admire passed naturally at 28. It sends me to write this in remembrance of all lost to the scythe this year and in the past and the hope for fresh perspectives and peace and light here on earth, not with just the sweet, white lady of Rest and Joy in the afterlife. The link to the video is at the bottom. Blessings to all of you who feel a loss at this time and know that what you hold in your heart, the memories, the joy, are gifts to you from those who touched your life and left.
Lyrics to Afterlife by Avenged Sevenfold upon the death of their drummer, The Rev, Jimmy Owen Sullivan...

Like walking into a dream

So unlike what you've seen

So unsure but it seems'

Cause we've been waiting for you

Fallen into this place

Just giving you a small taste

Of your afterlife here so stay

You'll be back here soon anyway

I see a distant light

But girl, this can't be right

Such a surreal place to see

So how did this come to be, arrived too early?

And when I think of all the places

I just don't belongI've come to grips with life and realize this is going too far

I don't belong here, we gotta move on, dear

Escape from this afterlife?

Cause this time I'm right to move on and on

Far away from here

A place of hope and no pain

Perfect skies with no rain

Can leave this place but refrain'Cause we've been waiting for you

Fallen into this place

Just giving you a small taste

Of your afterlife here so stay

You'll be back here soon anyway

This peace on earth's not right(With my back against the wall)

No pain or sign of time

(I'm much too young to fall)

So out of place don't wanna stay

I feel wrong and that's my sign

I've made up my mind

Give me your hand

But realize I just wanna say goodbye

Please understand I have to leave

and carry on my own life

I don't belong here, I gotta move on, dear

Escape from this afterlife?

Cause this time I'm right to move on and on

Far away from here

Got nothing against you

And surely I'll miss you

This place full of peace and light

And I'd hope you might

Take me back inside when the time is right

Loved ones back home all crying'Cause they're already missing me

I pray by the grace of God that there's somebody listening

Give me a chance to be that person I wanna be (I am unbroken, I'm choking on this ecstasy)

Oh Lord, I'll try so hard but You gotta let go of me(Unbreak me, unchain me, I need another chance to live)

I don't belong here, I gotta move on, dear

Escape from this afterlife?

Cause this time I'm right to move on and on

Far away from here

Got nothing against you

And surely I'll miss you

This place full of peace and light

And I'd hope you might

Take me back inside when the time is right

Never Jimmy Owen Sullivan, did I think this would be your song. Twenty-eight is too young and your joy is with the white lady now. Thanks, Rev, for accompanying me on the best walks and letting your spirit's heartbeat fill the air with every step. I will always see you smiling and twirling your sticks. You will be missed. Love to Bryan, Matt, Zachy, and Johnny and families for their loss.

10 comments:

Castles Crowns and Cottages said...

Amy, you have been a huge part of the great memories I have of a remarkable year. I pray that you will always shed your light on the darkness of those who need comfort, love and healing. I look forward to another wonderful year of blogging with you!!! Bisous, Anita

LuLu Kellogg said...

Dearest Amy,
Here is wishing you a wonderful and healthy New Year and thank you so much for sharing your loveliness with all of us.
Happy New Year,
LuLu~*xoxo

Beth Niquette said...

I have lost so many people I love--rather they flew away to heaven. and for those left behind it is even harder near Christmas. (hugs))

What a precious gift! How amazing. Well, the truth is miracles are everywhere if we only take the time to look.

Here's a Happy New Year to you, dear girl! I pray the coming year will be filled with amazing adventures, laughter and joy! May you have strength through the hard times and peace throughout this new year. There will come a time when tears will turn to smiles.

Olde Dame Penniwig said...

I had heard of The Rev's passing. So sad.

My brother loved white gladiolas. After he died, I kept seeing single stalks of glads come up where none had been planted.

Such a Wondrous Place this Faery Space said...

Anita Happy New Year! Thanks for the lovely words. Blessings.

Such a Wondrous Place this Faery Space said...

Blessings Lulu! I am glad to know your world!

Such a Wondrous Place this Faery Space said...

Parts of lives are never the same because of their impact, some just through the beat that comes so naturally. Thanks and blessings.

Such a Wondrous Place this Faery Space said...

Thanks Penni! Beautiful how flowers are such symbols. That was a lovely vision. Blessings this New Year.

Castles Crowns and Cottages said...

Dearest Amy,
Thank you for your hair compliment! I think I shall keep it very short. As I age, long hair doesn't make sense anymore!Thank you for all of the great visits, inspiring posts and friendship my dear one....may we continue on our quest of inspiration for the next year! Anita

sPaRkLiNg sCrApBoOkS said...

This post touched me deeply.You have a beautiful way of bringing comfort to people and I greatly appreciate that! My grandmother, who was like a mother to me, passed on 11/11 six years ago. To this day, I see the numbers 11:11 all the time, almost daily. It is because of that I know she is with me!!
I wish you much happiness and joy in 2010! love deb