Wednesday, November 18, 2009

With stammering lips and insufficient sounds, I strive and struggle to deliver right the music of (her) nature..." ~Elizabeth Barret Browning


"I didn't realize," she confesses mournfully, "all that was going on and we never noticed... Good-bye, world. Good-bye, Grover's Corners... Mama and Papa. Good-bye to clocks ticking... and Mama's sunflowers. And food and coffee. And new-ironed dresses and hot baths... and sleeping and waking up. Oh, earth, you're too wonderful for anybody to realize you." ~ Emily in Thornton Wilder's play, Our Town. This is Rena Askey's art again with Ralph Waldo Emerson's truths...
This post is for Debbie who I had not met before she left a comment on my last post. She told me her butterfly, Amy, daughter that she loved and cared for in sickness all her life passed just mere weeks ago and I went to her blog after reading the comment she left and the world spun for a bit and I had to go step outside to feel the Earth breathe beneath my feet after visiting her world. I changed the quote above in the title because really, trying to grasp Amy's role in Debbie and their family's life leaves me stammering and full of insufficient sounds to express the love and trials that they have felt. We hold her with our thoughts as we do with all of us who see our butterfly broken, but still fluttering against the winds...



I wrote these words for my friend, Rena Askey, when she told me she needed to celebrate her Mother's beautiful ongoing strength in her life with cancer. I still can't read it out loud. I cry, everytime. I brought it to my daughter's fourth grade Poetry Day last year and explained why I wrote it and who Rena was and showed them the picture of it in Somerset Studio magazine and then, it was time to read it to the parents and class and my daughter with all the grace in the world gently took it from my trembling hands after I had said, "It is this moment..." and I could not go on and quietly with tears rolling down my cheeks I watched my daughter and smiled at our sisterhood and her knowing...


Rena Askey's butterfly faery will have to sing out what she must have meant to you, for I cannot...











debbie said...
MY DEAR AMY,YOU DON'T KNOW ME BUT I READ THE MOST ELEGANT COMMENT YOU LEFT ON LINDA'S 100TH POST. IT TOUCHED MY SOUL AND I JUST HAD TO SCOUR YOUR BLOG...I ALSO JOINED YOUR BLOG AND AS A BUTTERFLY GENTLY LANDS ON A BUTTERFLY BUSH, I EXTEND THE INVITATION TO YOU TO VISIT MY BLOG AND WOULD BE SO HONORED IF YOU JOIN ME AND MY BLOG ON ITS' JOURNEY.ON OCT. 23, 2009 MY AMY BUTTERFLY WON HER FIGHT WITH CANCER AND GOD CALLED HER HOME.SHE WAS MY ONLY DAUGHTER, 33 YEARS OLD, SO BEAUTIFUL AND FULL OF LIFE.HER ART WAS MUCH LIKE YOURS. I KNOW SHE IS NOT THERE. YOU HAVE BROUGHT ME MUCH COMFORT AMY. I HAVE SO VERY MUCH ENJOYED LOOKING, READING, SMILING AND IN AWE OF THE BEAUTY.
THANK YOU AMY
ANGEL HUGS DEBBIE

10 comments:

Beth Niquette said...

Wow...I'm left speechless. Beautifully said, dear girl.

Terri Kahrs said...

My words are trite and insufficient . . . . Blessings, Terri xoxo

mermaiden said...

a feast for the soul...

Julie said...

Just beautiful...nothing much to say...thank-you for helping me to think a bit more deeply today...

Silke said...

Such a powerful post - leaves me with a full heart and without words! Blessing to you and Debbie! Love, Silke

Joshua said...

My mother loves butterflies and she went crazy when I showed her that picture. Awesome post also.

stregata said...

Bless you, Amy!!!!

debbie said...

MY SWEET PRECIOUS AMY,
THANK YOU FOR TEACHING ME IN THE MIDST OF GRIEF , THERE IS A MEADOW TO GO AND BREATHE IN OXYGEN OF SURVIVAL. I DON'T KNOW YOU BUT YET I FEEL I HAVE KNOWN YOU A VERY LONG TIME. HOW POIGNANT YOU HAVE MY DAUGHTERS' NAME....AMY....BELOVED.
YOUR ELEGANT POST TOUCHED MY HEART DEEPLY. I HAVE BEEN LIKE A BUTTERFLY, TRAPPED WITH WET WINGS AND NEEDED A SAFE PLACE FOR THE GENTLE BREEZE TO DRY MY WINGS.....THAT GENTLE DRYING BREEZE WAS FOUND AT SUCH A WONDROUS PLACE THIS FAERYTALE SPACE
ANGEL HUGS
LOVE
DEBBIE

Such a Wondrous Place this Faery Space said...

Love to you all! Blessings.

Julia said...

Speechless I am! So beautiful!!