Tuesday, November 17, 2009

"We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned, so as to have the life that is waiting for us..." ~Joseph Campbell

"People are like stain-glass windows. They sparkle and shine when the Sun is out, but when the Darkness sets in, their true beauty is revealed only if there is light from within..." ~Elizabeth Kubler-Ross
As an artist, I know the palette that soothes me, that I tend to choose. It is a calming thing creating in my element. There are people I meet, though, who create in a completely different palette and create with media that I could never be brave enough to play in or so I thought...

Vanessa Valencia's bottles of blossoms inspired the colors of the painting above that I took a "risk" with and opened my eyes and my paint box to a whole other world out there for me...

Thanks for that dear...



And she also inspired the "Plastic Paper" Project below that I tried, though it was exciting and a bit unnerving to iron plastic between wax paper sheets... Yikes!!!!! New frontiers for Amy, hee hee.
This is my collaboration with Rena Askey, one of my favorite people and friends, she used my words and painted this darling image for them. She lets me be myself and also shows me how to grow... Thanks...


EEEKKK!!!!! Here we go, am I really going to layer plastic bags and iron them??? Well, yes you are!" my dear son said! Funny and wonderful boy thanks for being brave with me...




My son and I on the porch Sunday creating plastic paper by following Vanessa Valencia's tips on using plastic bags to create great sacks or book covers or whatever your imagination sparks...





















Lay down the handles that you cut off the plastic bag on a white bag and you have varied your potential material, even more! Fun to experiment. Would dried blossoms show with clear bags? What other things could we recycle I asked my little fourth grader?





















This is the plastic fabric that I ended up with and I can't wait to get to a sewing machine and make something fantastic out of it!!!! Thanks to Vanessa Valencia for the idea, see here for instructions, http://afancifultwist.typepad.com/a_fanciful_twist/2009/11/green-holiday-crafting-you-fused-plastic.html and thanks to my sweet 9 year old boy who helped me gather what we needed and bring it out to our screened porch to play with a weird, awesome new media!

















I could not name them all, all those who use so many colors and dip into their souls and share their beauty, but recently, my friend, Rena Askey, my friend, Terri Kahrs, and my friend, Vanessa Valencia have taught me something about myself and this I share with you. I know the path I choose is a subtle one in my painting. I choose one color, usually, and just work from its various tones. It is calming and I know part of who I am. I didn't realize, though, until recently as I was trying more color in my works that little fears crept up that I would "blow it" by going to bright, at times it felt like breathing inside a plastic bag while I was trying something new, possible, but not free. Life brings with it synchronicity when we watch, though. At the same time I was feeling some hesitancy about trying new things, painting with new colors, some of the afore mentioned artists were encouraging in their posts or through conversations to be bold and dip into the paint box. "It doesn't mean you can't have both, Amy." I told myself and then, it dawned like a beautiful sun on my favorite lake...









My favorite collections, dried blossoms, fruits, old worn ribbons with that lovely yellowing at the edges are what play is all about. Vanessa's photo above from her website A Fanciful Twist in all its dried blossom sweetness reminded me of that.









My parents have a home on land out in a meadow and I can always tell my mood from what I have collected after walking out there. At times there are rose hips, fallen petals from Great Grandma's roses, yellowing grasses and assorted colorful leaves. At times there is basically one color theme, a monochromatic song of queen anne's lace, milkweed faeries, and dandelion fluffs on wands of green. These collections are equally me, equally appreciated and brought to my attention all the more for knowing color collectors like Rena or Vanessa. I am grateful to try new things and work with media that I normally could not imagine choosing like plastic bags. So make something sweeter today, try something new this weekend, make new friends but keep the old and leave the limits behind and let the imagination lead...
Blessings,
Amy

18 comments:

Coastal Sisters said...

I loved the reuse of the plastic bags. Your painting is so lovely...the colors are so ethereal.

Love,
LuLu~*xoxo

Julie said...

This is such a lovely, soft place to come and visit--thanks! Your artwork, quotes and writing are all so beautiful!

Silke said...

My dear Amy, I just spent some wonderful time getting caught up on your blog. You are such an inspiration to me!! You know, your color palette is so soothing and muted, yet you shine so incredibly brightly!

I know just what you mean about being fearful when you try new things. I felt that way with a painting I did today - nervous about what to do with the background. So, I put color on my brayer and on my fingers and I applied it without thinking. No time for my brain to kick in. ;)

I love the fabric you created from the plastic bags. I bet you'll make something gorgeous with it!!

Thank you for creating such a magical place to visit!! Love, Silke

Terri Kahrs said...

Amy, your tutorial is wonderful! I'll have to give it a try and will dust off my sewing machine too. Thank you for the link to Fanciful Twist - it's an awesome blog!

It's amazing, isn't it, how the light from one stained glass window can touch and influence so many beautiful things! I'm sooo happy that you "listened" to your inner self and conquered a fear! Bravo, Dear Amy! Allow your colors to shine bright! Hugs & Blessings, Terri xoxo

Queen of Dreamsz said...

Hello Amy,

I love the Joseph Campbell quote..I must add that to my blog..it is so true!

The collaborative work is awesome! And the plastic bag fusing is something I've read about but not tried..you brought up a valid point..."Do it outside"..heehee

I could see me trying it inside without thinking..

Have a great day,
Stephanie

debbie said...

MY DEAR AMY,
YOU DON'T KNOW ME BUT I READ THE MOST ELEGANT COMMENT YOU LEFT ON LINDA'S 100TH POST. IT TOUCHED MY SOUL AND I JUST HAD TO SCOUR YOUR BLOG...I ALSO JOINED YOUR BLOG AND AS A BUTTERFLY GENTLY LANDS ON A BUTTERFLY BUSH, I EXTEND THE INVITATION TO YOU TO VISIT MY BLOG AND WOULD BE SO HONORED IF YOU JOIN ME AND MY BLOG ON ITS' JOURNEY.
ON OCT. 23, 2009 MY AMY BUTTERFLY WON HER FIGHT WITH CANCER AND GOD CALLED HER HOME.
SHE WAS MY ONLY DAUGHTER, 33 YEARS OLD, SO BEAUTIFUL AND FULL OF LIFE.
HER ART WAS MUCH LIKE YOURS.
IN A WEIRD WAY, WHEN YOU DESCRIBED THE FEAR OF ADDING A NEW COLOR, I FELT THE FEAR THAT ATTACKS ME THAT IT IS REAL SHE IS GONE, I WILL NOT BE ABLE TO HUG HER AGAIN OR SMELL HER ....IT IS JUST PAINFUL FOR ME BUT I AM SO JOYOUS SHE IS WITHOUT PAIN AND RUNNING AND DANCING AND SAFELY IN THE ARMS OF THE LORD.
I WAS SO MOVED BY YOU GOING THROUGH YOUR GRANDMA AND HER GRANDMA LITTLE PRECIOUS THINGS. I HAVE NOT BEEN ABLE TO GO THROUGH AMY'S THINGS...SHE LIVED IN OUR SECOND HOUSE AND WHEN I WENT INTO HER BEDROOM I WAS SO GRIEVED I HAD TO LEAVE. I FIND PEACE SETTING IN HER CAR, AND AT HER GRAVE SITE. I KNOW SHE IS NOT THERE
YOU HAVE BROUGHT ME MUCH COMFORT AMY. I HAVE SO VERY MUCH ENJOYED LOOKING, READING, SMILING AND IN AWE OF THE BEAUTY.
THANK YOU AMY
ANGEL HUGS
DEBBIE

stregata said...

It is intimidating to leave our comfort zone - kudos to you for daring to try something new!! I am looking forward to seeing what new things you create!!!

Castles Crowns and Cottages said...

I just love the first quote about the stained glass....and the rest is also sheer delight as usual dearest Amy! GREAT COLORS! Anita

Beth Niquette said...

What a marvelous idea! Amazing...and I loved your inspired artwork.

Such a Wondrous Place this Faery Space said...

Thanks so much Lulu! Blessings.

Such a Wondrous Place this Faery Space said...

I appreciate it Julie! Blessings.

Such a Wondrous Place this Faery Space said...

I am happy to hear from you Silke dear, Thanks! Blessings.

Such a Wondrous Place this Faery Space said...

Light to you Terri!Blessings.

Such a Wondrous Place this Faery Space said...

Stephanie thanks! Blessings.

Such a Wondrous Place this Faery Space said...

Debbie, I am touched.

Such a Wondrous Place this Faery Space said...

Renate I appreciate it so. Blessings.

Such a Wondrous Place this Faery Space said...

Thanks Anita! Blessings.

Such a Wondrous Place this Faery Space said...

Beth dear, thanks. Blessings and light.