Thursday, November 19, 2009

Love, love, love, it's easy...











In a zoo in California, a mother tiger gave birth to a rare set of triplet tiger cubs. Unfortunately, due to complications in the pregnancy, the cubs were born prematurely and due to their tiny size, they died shortly after birth. The mother tiger after recovering from the delivery, suddenly started to decline in health, although physically she was fine. The veterinarians felt that the loss of her litter had caused the tigress to fall into a depression. The doctors decided that if the tigress could surrogate another mother's cub's, perhaps she would improve. After checking with many other zoos across the country, the depressing news was that there were no tiger cubs of the right age to introduce to the mourning mother. The veterinarians decided to try something that had never been tried in a zoo environment. Sometimes a mother of one species, will take on the care of a different species. The only 'orphans' that could be found quickly, were a litter of weanling pigs. The zoo keepers and vets wrapped the piglets in tiger skin and placed the babies around the mother tiger. Is there anything stronger than a Mother's love?
maybe we could right our own story for this glorious blue marble... maybe it could start like this...
Once upon a time there was a magical world where the people all looked upon eachother as a loving Mother looks upon her child...
It is your story... fill it with love...
Upon putting up the image of Una and the Lion by Briton Riviere in today's post I have received a few questions as to who this is and what does it represent, and given I am an English Literature teacher when I am not home with my fourth child, I just can't resist an opportunity to interest someone in such a rich, allegorical text as is the inspiration for this painting...
So, this extended part of the post is a dip into an explanation. It is from Edmund Spenser's The Faerie Queene. Una represents one truth because she is beauty and light. She walks eventually in Book 1 with a lamb and a lion who are faithful to her because she exudes all that is peace, beauty, acceptance, and strength. The lion represents strength and holiness and the lamb is innocence. When they walk together with Una who is without pride and light-filled, they represent a strength that comes from those combined traits, a true "at-one-ment" with one's self and a rejecting of Duessa, the character of double meanings, lies, and separateness. Well, my book-nerd petticoats are showing, so I best be off to smooth them down a bit and give my inkwell and plume a bit of a rest... take care dears, off to spend some quality time with my little cubs...

11 comments:

Julie said...

You were my first stop this morning--and what a lovely way to start my day!

What a glorious love story! Such tender images--isn't it amazing what love can do?! I love that first beautiful vintage image...where does that come from? Thanks for sharing such beauty with us each day...

stregata said...

Love - is there any stronger power in the universe, I wonder? I hope not! And I hope the story had a happy ending... And it proves what I have always believed - that animals do have feelings, emotions. Are much more than many give them credit for.
Thank you for sharing this light today, Amy!

Terri Kahrs said...

I'm filled with happiness this morning, Amy. Your beautiful post made my heart sing! There is no greater love that that of a Mother for her child. And the picture of the little piglets laying on their surrogate Mom, made my day - love truly is universal! Hugs & Blessings, Terri xoxo

Julie said...

Beautiful, Amy! Thanks so much for illuminating me--I love history, literature, etc., so I LOVE learning this--thank-you! I've never read the Faery Queen, but it's something I've always wanted and intended to read. Thanks for re-inspiring me!

Beth Niquette said...

I love the Lion and the lamb, and those pictures of the tigress and the piglets, plus that wonderful story of motherhood are so inspiring!

I was thinking the lion and the lamb symbolized the way it will be at the end of time--where the lion lays down with the lamb and there is peace on earth.

I like your version, too.

Such a Wondrous Place this Faery Space said...

The metaphor is the same for it represents not necessarily the end of days, but, the perceived end of the separation of self from the divinity within. Blessings.

VERBENA.... NESTED TREASURES said...

Hello... stopped by to say hello...what a beautiful post!!! Thinking of you & sending tons of love your way. xoxo laura

Castles Crowns and Cottages said...

WOW. Love does conquer all. Oh Amy! You really know how to make a beautiful point! Thank you for the inspiration. Love always, ANita

Castles Crowns and Cottages said...

And thank you!!!!! Blessings, Anita

Jen**SugaredSongbird** said...

Such a tender post, warm with a touch of humor. Thank you for sharing a bright spot here, and all the beautiful images you find!

Rockester said...

There is no stronger bond than love. I love the idea of this photo set and the basic concept is true....the pigs and tigers are fostering together...but Snopes investigated and found it not quite as the California zoo story is presented.
http://www.snopes.com/photos/animals/tigerpig.asp