Saturday, November 14, 2009

"Lost, yesterday, somewhere between sunrise and sunset, two golden hours, each set with sixty diamond minutes..." ~ Horace Mann




"Ring the bells that still can ring. Forget your perfect offering. There is a crack in everything. That's how the light gets in."
"Having Come This Far" by Leonard Cohen
My daughter who is ten glorious years of light told me yesterday that she read somewhere that by the time a person is 65 years old, they have spent 9 years watching television. I know that there are facts like this all over about all sorts of things, hours spent working, chores, etc. (actually, people who can dance with numbers well just fascinate me. As for me, I dance with them as bad as Elaine from Seinfeld and the numbers have asked me politely to just pour the punch at their dance parties) I am not perfect.
I know this.
Friends, this week, both at home and here in blogland, have rung their bells and they seem to not be full of tinkling light, spinning in the morning breeze to the song of the sunrise. They have a deep woe in their ringing. Sometimes the music is a frustrated cadence. Resonances of unease abound. Because others have done it for me when my bells have toned with a melancholy chant, I will take this moment to tell you,
You are a song, beyond beautiful, I tell you. All you do is worthwhile. All you do is not lost. All you do is essential and full of light.
Your world, my world, will not be without its cracks, stress fractures or chasms. At the end of day, when you let your eyelids gently close, just tell yourself...
"My joy, my grief, my hope, my love, did all within this circle move." ~Edmund Waller
Whether it was sixty diamond minutes or the great cabochon that is each day, your offering is divine. It is worthy of note. It is the part of you that sounds through the morning air and sounds through the sleeping night. You are essential to the choir of souls in this world's composition.
"One sad thing about this world is that the acts that take the most out of you are usually the ones that other people will never know about." ~Anne Tyler
But, know that I hear your bells. Just as others have heard mine and with their hugs the bells became lighter and sweeter and when the heavy, cracked, weight of the Liberty Bell is on my back again, knowing that sometimes that is the cost of independence and responsibility, hugs from friends lighten the song. You are all light and I thank-you friends for your offerings.

12 comments:

DeBRiNa PRaTT said...

Happy Glorious Morning Amy thanks to you and your uplifting post! You never know how things will effect people and I must tell you..the time you took to write this post, your words, YOU, lifted my spirits and brought "good" tears to my eyes and my day WILL NOT be the same!
Sending all my love!
Debrina

Terri Kahrs said...

Ohhh, Amy! The numbers will not even allow me to be in the same room, I fear! Your beautifully written, poetic post has lifted my spirits, and I hear the sound of a hundred tinkling bells this morning and see the fractured light from a million stars break into rainbows of sunshine around me. Glorious post, glorious day! Thank you, Sweet Friend. Hugs & Love, Terri xoxo

Julie said...

Good morning to you! I'm so glad I found your beautiful place last week--your writing is so beautiful and touching, and your images, so lovely! May I use a couple of the beautiful vintage images you've posted in my cardmaking? You've found some real vintage beauties! Let me know, if you have a second! Hope your weekend is just filled with beautiful things...thank-you for making my morning brighter!

Georgianna said...

Dear Amy, Of all my friends in blogland, writers and artists and dreamers, you more than any can send a joyful tingle up my spine, wake up precious dreams that have gone dormant and encourage me to share them with the world. You are such a vital beacon of light. love and hugs to you. – g xoxo

Such a Wondrous Place this Faery Space said...

Goodness now I am misting up all of you. I am really sure of your amazing contributions friends, of the light that even during the normal daily moments shine and spread goodness. I really know this. You are all so important. Blessings all.

Castles Crowns and Cottages said...

You are the best. You just exude beauty in every word and image. Thank you for YOU! Anita

Michelle said...

Hi Amy,

I have to say that your blog is one of the most enchanting I have ever visited! I am crazy about all of your writings, quotes and especially the artwork you post! Just magical!

Michelle :)

stregata said...

Thank you for the light full of pixie dust and the sweet tinkling of faerie bells that is your blog! Thank you, Amy!

Castles Crowns and Cottages said...

Ma chère amie,
Your visits mean a lot to me; you are a real writer and your comments, I take them as an opportunity to bounce ideas off of each other. But most of all, your angel-like sweetness and "faerique" quality are a joy to behold and receive. Have a joyous day my friend! Anita

icandy... said...

Sweet Amy~
How do you get such magical words to flow and inspire us all?
You are a beloved friend!
Love,
Christina
oxox

Pat @ Mille Fiori Favoriti said...

Hello Amy!

I really savored your blog and enjoyed all your writings and art work. You have a beautiful and uplifting blog! I will be glad to become one of your followers.

FOREVER JANN said...

PRETTY BLOG!