Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Blessings abound but I still am going to make a little wish for me...





































Vrai and the pink hollyhocks…
There is a place of magic and pink, a lone place where glistening swirls of dew and green, like spring, hold tenderly to pink ribbons from Nature. The Land of Hollyhock is a sweet and abundant place where wishes come true…
As guardian of this land, small as it is, my job has turned difficult. I have two black, shiny, crisp-looking beetles eating out the insides of my delicate, pink, elfdom. They are greedy and attack the most beautiful pink centers and the almost lily pad shaped leaves of this hollyhock. They are travelers, hungry, for they have never visited here before, therefore, earlier in my vigilant watch of this glistening world, I noticed the leaves were not vibrant, they were becoming holey, but, since I even carry out bees from the house, I could not imagine denying these new visitors breakfast. (For it is customary in my elfdom to provide a meal to any who need it before they move on their way. It is the only decent thing to do, and you meet such interesting bugs and bunnies, that way.)
Alas, that first allowance, that first meal, has turned into gluttony. Take, take, take, do these shiny little devils. (And let me tell you, they do not shine like the morning sun, but, in that oil slick, sharp way only devourers do.) So, this morning, I am doing something I rarely ever do for myself.
I am making a Wish Bowl for myself.
I usually arrange something splendid and symbolic in my bowl if a friend is having a hard time, using bits and bobs that represent their trials and the goals. It is a visualization technique I created long, long, ago when I was a child before I even knew what a visualization technique was, lol.
Today, I wish for a hollyhock solution. I was so mad at seeing them nibbling at the glistening pink swirls this morning, I actually took my fingers and flicked it hard off the plant into the grass! Now, to some that is tame. For me, well, let us just say that was an angry moment for this guardian (lol).
Vrai, the honesty elf is saying there is a way to be rid of these “devourers” so that they will move on to their greater destinies and stop devouring beauty. They deserve to go on, travel to where they were supposed to be, like they always have. If only they could stay and take just their share. Naughty, greed is, naughty thing.
So, if you have any solutions, hopefully not chemical-laden, I would love some advice. Maybe lemon water sprayed on, or vinegar? Something that won’t damage the sweet world that is my pink hollyhock, but, gives it that magical barrier that bars gluttony and destruction?
Wishes,
Amy

7 comments:

Terri Kahrs said...

Oh My! Horrid, horrid pests! I could never understand why greed and gluttony were listed as sins, but as I've gotten older, I now understand. They destroy beauty and all that is good.

Amy, you might try making a spray to use on these vicious invaders. Get a spray bottle, fill it with water and add a few drops of regular dishwashing liquid. Shake to mix it well, and spray. You don't need a lot of soap - just a little will do. But be sure to spray the topside and bottomsides or your leaves. Spraying in the evening helps too.

Best of luck! And thank you, My Friend, for your loving comments earlier today. Love & Blessings, Terri xoxo

stregata said...

Poor guardian of the Land of Hollyhock. Hard to say what would make the black knights in their shiny armour go away. Maybe dusting the leaves with a mineral powder (used for composting)would help. I really don't know.
Hope you find a solution!

Castles Crowns and Cottages said...

Oh my dear, I have no solutions to offer you...what an inventive and poetic way to talk about something that is a real and unpleasant subject for gardeners! Anita

Claudia said...

I struggle with the same thing here in our garden - japanese beetles on the roses, bugs or beetles that eat the hosta leaves - and I don't use pesticides. I am like you, I carry spiders, bees, and wasps outside. I'm not sure what to do, either; I hope someone will comment with an answer!

Such a Wondrous Place this Faery Space said...

I love that idea Terri! I will go try it right now!! Thanks. Blessings and thanks.

Such a Wondrous Place this Faery Space said...

Awesome visual of the knights. You are great! Blessings and thanks dear one.

Such a Wondrous Place this Faery Space said...

Wow! What a fun but, busy, busy week! I look forward to responding on your wonderful comments and beautiful blogs soon. Now off for some sleep and peace. Take care dears.