Saturday, May 16, 2009

Welcome to the soft landing, the light-filled heart. Welcome to the art of Amy Sperry Faldet.







Once upon a time...
An artist named Amy was told her efforts to write faery stories was a fruitless climb...
Fine art faerytales are not in need, they are dead...
What has gotten into your head??
This is a post I never thought would occur, but it seems some "well-meaning" people in my land stick doubts to my dresses like a prickly burr...
I write, I draw, I dream...
I always will.
Sitting on my porch, reading Tolkien's "On Fairy-Stories" I had a serendipitous moment;
Just what I needed to read, at just the time I needed it. I will share this with you dear ones who create and write and express because we must dip our brushes into our souls....
Tolkien~
We may indeed be older now, in so far as we are heirs in enjoyment or in practice of many generations of ancestors in the arts. In this inheritance of wealth there may be a danger of boredom or of anxiety to be original, and that may lead to a distaste for fine drawing, delicate pattern, and 'pretty' colours, or else to mere manipulation and over-elaboration of old material, clever and heartless. But the true road of escape from such weariness is not to be found in the willfully awkward, clumsy, or mishappen, not in making all things dark or unremittingly violent; nor in the mixing of colours on through subtlety to drabness, and the fantastical complication of shapes to the point of silliness and on towards delirium.
Before we reach such states we need recovery. We should look at green again, and be
startled anew (but not blinded) by blue and yellow and red. We should meet the centaur and the dragon, and then perhaps suddenly behold, like the ancient shepherds, sheep, and dogs, and horses- and wolves. This recovery fairy-stories help us to make. In that sense only a taste for them may make us, or keep us, childish."
In this world, I Amy, see the need to look at green anew, smell pink, listen to a tale of hope, trial, courage, endurance, and joy. I know this is what a heart needs, sometimes. So, I believe in the faerytale...
"The person who would enter the Kingdom of Faerie should have the heart of a little child."
~Andrew Lang




12 comments:

liven said...

lovely pictures :o)
have a nice weekend :o)

Robin said...

Fabulous poem....fabulous art....

Have a most beautiful weekend.

Silke said...

You are so right! I have always loved fairy-tales and find that they are as relevant today as they have been in the past! I grew up with them (the real ones, not the Disney versions) and learned so much from them. I also am married to a writer of modern fairy-tales. Don't stop writing! The world needs your own special voice! Blessings, Silke

Crinoline said...

Hello Amy and thanks for your nice comments.Your photos are beutiful. I grew up with fairy-tails.Have a nice week-end.

Such a Wondrous Place this Faery Space said...

Liven I thank-you! Blessings

Such a Wondrous Place this Faery Space said...

I appreciate that Robin and I send you wishes in gratitude. Blessings.

Such a Wondrous Place this Faery Space said...

Silke, friend, I will always write and your words, as well as my own excellent cheering section's, will ride along on my shoulder. Your great.
Thanks.

Such a Wondrous Place this Faery Space said...

I think growing up on faerytales is a fine foundation to create our wings to fly. Thanks dear. Blessings.

Olde Dame Penniwig said...

My dear lady, your words are wonderful and your art is lovely, but that light green type must go! LOL! VERY hard to read, I must squint and get even more crow's feet...

I love fairytales...not the ones featuring princesses and princes, but more on the somber side, such as LOTR....

Such a Wondrous Place this Faery Space said...

Duly noted dear friend! I will make the color darker for the font, thanks for the tip! Thanks for the visit, as well! Blessings.

Beth Niquette said...

(sigh) Lovely poetry--and so very true. Those of us who love faeries, and whimsey will understand fairytales never die.

Such a Wondrous Place this faerytale Space.

Such a Wondrous Place this Faery Space said...

Beth dear, 'tis true. Thanks.